Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More trouble with SD card
RE: More trouble with SD card
Ok, thanks for all the input guys, and so quickly too! Well, I was able to write a file onto a locked SD card with the card reader that I use. It is a multi-card reader and it seems that it has no device to recognize whether or not the card is locked. I will wait and but a new card reader, and see if the issue persists then.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 09:17 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 08:58 PM)robysue Wrote: The SD card is a physical lock, not a software lock, and apparently your computer is getting around that physical lock in some fashion.

Robysue, the lock on an sd card is just a sliding bit of plastic, like the locks on the old 3.5" floppy disks, the actual write protect activity happens in the card reader, and not all of them have the little switch that detects whether the slider is locked or not.

that may be the OP's problem.
That's why I suggested Experiment 1: Try to write a file to a locked SD card when it's in the card reader.

If new card readers often do not have the little switch that detects whether the slider is locked or not, we need to revise what we're telling people to do about this problem.

Of course, if this is the problem, the you'll have the same issue if you import data into ResScan on a Win 8.1 machine.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 09:36 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: Ok, thanks for all the input guys, and so quickly too! Well, I was able to write a file onto a locked SD card with the card reader that I use. It is a multi-card reader and it seems that it has no device to recognize whether or not the card is locked. I will wait and but a new card reader, and see if the issue persists then.

check the post I made a couple back with with a link to a microsoft forum with instructions on how to disable that 'helpful feature'. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 09:37 PM)robysue Wrote: Of course, if this is the problem, the you'll have the same issue if you import data into ResScan on a Win 8.1 machine.

absolutely correct, it's windows, not sleepyhead that's the problem as I think you've said before in your "how to".

I've heard that some mac's are also "helpful".
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 09:36 PM)diamaunt Wrote: google is my friend... and probably yours:

how to turn off that "feature"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...3f5?page=2
Apparently doesn't work with Home Edition.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 08:42 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(07-12-2014, 09:36 PM)diamaunt Wrote: google is my friend... and probably yours:

how to turn off that "feature"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...3f5?page=2
Apparently doesn't work with Home Edition.

So a serious and important question for group members who DO use Win 8.1 and in particular, the Home Edition of Win 8.1:

What is the simplest thing to tell a brand new newbie who doesn't know anything about the PAP or SH and who also doesn't really know much about their computer's operating system?

If the old saw of "lock the SD card" isn't going to work for everybody, what should we tell them?

The discussion on the "feature" at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...3f5?page=2 is going to go right over the heads of most people.

Will buying an external SD card reader that does have ability to detect the position of the physical Lock switch on the card work?

I don't have a Win 8.1 machine and I'm not likely to ever have one. So I can't debug this issue. But I sure wish those of you who do have Win 8.1 machines with SD slots that don't recognize the SD card's Lock Tab would help me out here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly the "Try to remember to lock your card, but if you forget, it's no big thing" thing might be the easiest. We could create a script with the commands to correct the problem that they could download, but that requires tailoring depending on what drive they're using (g: f: etc) and where the Resmed and/or Sleepyhead programs are installed. We could have them modify their Windows 8.1 system to disable that feature, but many will be allergic to tweaking their Windows system to accommodate one specific program.

It should be very rare that someone has a reader that ignores the SDCard lock feature. So, if you forget to lock it, let the Resmed have it's way with it, and in 7 days everything will be back to normal.

By the way, there is a purpose to this feature in Windows 8.1 that will be lost if disabled. It would not effect everyone, but could degrade performance for some.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 10:59 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Possibly the "Try to remember to lock your card, but if you forget, it's no big thing" thing might be the easiest. We could create a script with the commands to correct the problem that they could download, but that requires tailoring depending on what drive they're using (g: f: etc) and where the Resmed and/or Sleepyhead programs are installed. We could have them modify their Windows 8.1 system to disable that feature, but many will be allergic to tweaking their Windows system to accommodate one specific program.

It should be very rare that someone has a reader that ignores the SDCard lock feature. So, if you forget to lock it, let the Resmed have it's way with it, and in 7 days everything will be back to normal.
You're going to hit this error EVERY time you download---regardless of whether it's to SH or Resscan. And some people prefer to download data more than once a week.

And while the summary data will always be re-written to the card, neither the 30-days of detailed data nor the 7-days of high resolution data will be rewritten to the card when you reinsert the card.

If you happen to have a rare sleep doc who cares about the detailed data, you'll have to go 30 days without downloading the data to give him/her a full 30 days of detailed data.

(07-12-2014, 09:36 PM)Canadian_Jesus Wrote: Ok, thanks for all the input guys, and so quickly too! Well, I was able to write a file onto a locked SD card with the card reader that I use. It is a multi-card reader and it seems that it has no device to recognize whether or not the card is locked. I will wait and but a new card reader, and see if the issue persists then.
Please do let us know if using a different card reader with the locked SD card prevents the problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 11:17 AM)robysue Wrote: You're going to hit this error EVERY time you download---regardless of whether it's to SH or Resscan. And some people prefer to download data more than once a week.

And while the summary data will always be re-written to the card, neither the 30-days of detailed data nor the 7-days of high resolution data will be rewritten to the card when you reinsert the card.

If you happen to have a rare sleep doc who cares about the detailed data, you'll have to go 30 days without downloading the data to give him/her a full 30 days of detailed data.

No, you are only going to have this problem if you are using a non-compliant reader, or if you forget to lock the card. I download every day and it works fine unless I forget to lock the card. Then I have the script I run to clean up the mess.

Also, isn't everything except the 7 days of high res stored in the machine? I haven't noticed anything getting misplaced except for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit. I went into Admin Tools/Services and disabled Windows Search. (Formerly known as indexing service.) The service has been around a while -- and I find it a waste of computer resources. (And you don't need the Group Policy Editor to Stop and Disable the service.)

As for Windows 8.1 pushing System Volume Info onto external drives such as SD cards -- that's MircoSoft arrogance.
Just as their Click-to-run turned me off from Office 2013.

As external card readers have independent electronics to interface between card and USB port, I believe an external reader will prevent any attempt to write to the SD card.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 210 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,874 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 235 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 459 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 701 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 881 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Trouble staying asleep with CPAP TiredTom111 4 800 07-20-2023, 11:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.