Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Morning headaches post- revised!
Morning headaches post- revised!
I should have given more info in my original post- sorry!

I think my 40 year old son may, like me, have sleep apnoea. He is denying this, at the moment. 

He has bad headaches on waking several days a week (as I did before my diagnosis and treatment). He goes back to bed if he is able which we all now compounds the problem if you have sleep apnoea.

He’s been checked out by a doctor (who of course, never thought about sleep apnoea!) so it appears to have no cause/serious concern.

I’d at least like to try and save him from worsening headaches, if possible, until he is willing to consider sleep apnoea as an issue. I am going to suggest he borrows my VI Health O2 ring just for starters.

So- does anyone have any suggestions (other than get your apnoea treated!!) that could reduce the severity of his headaches? 

PS Yes, although he’s very slim, works in a physical job, doesn’t smoke, drinks occasionally, he does snore, and has told me he wakes up gasping sometimes… He knows the pros and cons of not getting diagnosed/treatment. 

Thanks for any suggestions and your understanding in the meantime.?‍?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Morning headaches post- revised!
That idea you have with the ring is good, but if he refuses to even try that then there is probably something else going on as to why he won't consider sleep apnea as a possibility (psychological reasons).

I know someone who thinks that he likely has sleep apnea, and I told him how much CPAP therapy has helped me. But he won't consider a home test because he told me that he will refuse to consider ever using a CPAP machine -- even if a sleep study shows that he has the issue. Therefore getting a study/diagnosis is irrelevant to him.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes- my son says that too!!!!

Thinks he will never be able to sleep with it. As he has a daughter I’m trying to get him to see that he owes it to her to at least give it a shot- IF he does have sleep apnoea.

Thanks for your insight!
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a mother's instinct, and are doing all you can for his and for his daughter's sake.  Unfortunately for both you and your granddaughter, he does not.  

In another life and body, and code of ethics, I'd coach the daughter to ask him bluntly why he wants to leave her behind.  Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying.

I agree! In fact, I said something along similar lines in front of them both. 

I find it hard because I have four adult children (including a daughter with cerebral palsy) and I’ve always tried my utmost to leave them all to make their own decisions about things, without my interference. In this instance I just want to take control and MAKE him get a test etc!!!!! But I realise he’s a grown up and it’s up to him.

I think I’ve read that our headaches are caused by carbon dioxide build up in our bodies overnight? I wondered if there was anything we could do to mitigate this, by taking in more oxygen, having a morning walk etc. Difficult with these painful headaches, I know, but I’m trying to think what could be done to help get rid of the carbon dioxide etc. Anyone have any ideas or experience with reducing severity? I know paracetamol etc has never helped me. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Brain fog during the next day(s), headaches, narcoleptic events, personality change, depression (-worth a prod about that..?)), heart palpitations and arrhythmias, high blood pressure,...it goes on and on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there. Not trying to muddy the waters but it is entirely possible SA is not a factor.  My morning headache issue has nothing to do with sleep apnea and is 100% attributable to pillow and sleeping position. 

No offense intended, and I do love my mum dearly, but you sound a lot like my mother who uses mild guilt and manipulation to achieve what she sees as desirable outcomes.  My advice, give your son the space and respect to make big boy decisions about his own health and life journey. You may not always like his choices, just like he may not like yours, but your relationship will grow in the end.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mugsy,

Thanks for your observations.

I’ll bear them in mind. 

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
lindylou - I see you have an FFM listed as your mask. Where is the lower back strap positioned on your head? If it is too low below the skull and onto the neck, you can pinch nerves, which will give a headache in the lower back of your head. I learned this the hard way.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. I was asking for my son.

BUT as it happens, the Velcro part of the headpiece DOES lie low on the back of my neck. It’s annoying but I think it’s because the Dreamwear silicon tubes- although I have the smallest size- are still too big for me. That makes the Velcro bit lie low. 

I can’t think of any possible way to make the silicon smaller- seems impossible! I’m quite small stature wise- 5’ 1½” in height and 9 and a half stone in weight, with a small bone structure. I wish they did a smaller size, or large children’s size! 

Thanks again, 
Linda
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 157 7 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,013 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 122 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,835 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 172 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 203 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.