Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Most Apnea Events Occuring in first 2 hours
Most Apnea Events Occuring in first 2 hours
I am studying my data using the Resmed and Sleepyhead software and noticed that I get most of my nightly events during the first 2 hours of sleep. Since I don't sleep very well and take Trazodone (50mg), most of the events are usually in the second part of the first two hours. I see event counts of 15-20 and the rest of the night the events settled down to 1-3. Getting this many events at the beginning and much fewer the rest of the night is driving my AI - AHI numbers up.

I would appreciate feedback on this post.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Most Apnea Events Occuring in first 2 hours
Hard to guess without knowing the pressure range and the statistics, Ramp period and start pressure

The machine does not know whether you're awake or asleep (awake events are meaningless)
As you fall asleep and go in to deeper sleep stage, that causes more events scored and more so if sleeping on your back
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 03:42 PM)ausdoug Wrote: I am studying my data using the Resmed and Sleepyhead software and noticed that I get most of my nightly events during the first 2 hours of sleep. Since I don't sleep very well and take Trazodone (50mg), most of the events are usually in the second part of the first two hours. I see event counts of 15-20 and the rest of the night the events settled down to 1-3. Getting this many events at the beginning and much fewer the rest of the night is driving my AI - AHI numbers up.

Are these mostly "central" ("clear airway") events being flagged in the first couple of hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 04:29 PM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 03:42 PM)ausdoug Wrote: I am studying my data using the Resmed and Sleepyhead software and noticed that I get most of my nightly events during the first 2 hours of sleep. Since I don't sleep very well and take Trazodone (50mg), most of the events are usually in the second part of the first two hours. I see event counts of 15-20 and the rest of the night the events settled down to 1-3. Getting this many events at the beginning and much fewer the rest of the night is driving my AI - AHI numbers up.

Are these mostly "central" ("clear airway") events being flagged in the first couple of hours?

Pressure setting is 4 - 20.

Most of the early events are clear airway. My nose is usually very stuffy with drainage so I'm surprised with the CA being the most.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been using the CPAP?

If you're not within the first 6 mos or so of use, my suggestion is to look at your median range over the past two weeks and determine a pressure to set your minimum to. What MAY be happening is with a range that is "wide open" like yours is set, the machine is having to hunt and peck to try and figure out your rhythm. By raising the minimum, you give it a fighting chance and it can respond to events quicker.

Here is how to post screenshots as attachment. Show us a typical night's data. The screen with the graph showing flow rate, event flags, and pressure. Please.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ttachments
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Only been using CPAP for about 2 1/2 months so all of this is new to me. Using SleepyHead report and looking at the events and the clock time of the event, what is the number in ( ). Is this the length of the event in seconds?

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 05:05 PM)ausdoug Wrote: what is the number in ( ). Is this the length of the event in seconds?
Yes in SleepyHead
Apnea has to last, at least 10 seconds to be scored
AHI 5 and below is normal while on PAP

Edit: As for nose stuffiness, most people suffer from that, our bodies are not designed to cope with increased airflow
I find the climate line hose helps, you'll need to figure what humidity level setting works for you, some prefer more and less for others, everyone is different. I use Flo saline sinus rinse most evenings and sometimes Nasonex before bedtime .... YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2015, 05:05 PM)ausdoug Wrote:

Only been using CPAP for about 2 1/2 months so all of this is new to me. Using SleepyHead report and looking at the events and the clock time of the event, what is the number in ( ). Is this the length of the event in seconds?

Yes, it's the duration of the event in seconds.

Two thoughts on your situation: First, sleep onset centrals are common. Most of my events are CAs that happen in my first hour or two at night. Second, you're still in the early adjustment phase of treatment and the nasal stuff may be contributing to a bumpier adjustment. Some of those two hour clusters may settle down after some time and probably when you narrow your pressure range a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ausdoug,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is common.

You may want to try a nasal rinse product. I use a squeeze bottle by Ayr with their pre-packaged mix. I just add the water and do a rinse whenever I need it. Try rinsing out your nasal passages just prior to sleep and see if that helps any. Another product is a nasal gel that you rub inside your nostrils. Again, I use Ayr gel for when my nose is already dry and I don't want it to get worse. Or when I get up in the morning and it is bad, I use it then.

It probably won't help if this is a problem you had prior to starting CPAP.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 340 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.