Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Most Unusual Night
RE: Most Unusual Night
(02-12-2016, 01:10 PM)wolson Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 01:00 PM)richb Wrote: Does this machine have a backup rate set?
RichB

Good question: what is the backup rate and what does it do? I don't know how to answer this question.

Walt

A backup rate is a fixed number of breath that a machine automatically delivers if you stop breathing. I looked up the specs on your machine and see that it does not have a back up rate available. Sorry for adding confusion.

RichB
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 02:46 PM)richb Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 01:10 PM)wolson Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 01:00 PM)richb Wrote: Does this machine have a backup rate set?
RichB

Good question: what is the backup rate and what does it do? I don't know how to answer this question.

Walt

A backup rate is a fixed number of breath that a machine automatically delivers if you stop breathing. I looked up the specs on your machine and see that it does not have a back up rate available. Sorry for adding confusion.

RichB

OK. No problem

Walt

Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's nice to come back to the forum and see that no one slapped me for confusing pressure and flowrate, they kind of be different. Must have needed that nap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 01:16 PM)PoolQ Wrote: As for COPD. Both my Doctor and my pulmonologist said that I clearly do not have COPD before the testing. After the testing they said I have unspecified COPD, they have no idea what it really is but "may" be COPD. They prescribed me the first level of COPD meds and bingo I could now sleep. Is it COPD? I have no idea and neither do they really. Am I just way more sensitive than most? Could be. Whatever the case, the meds are working and I am comfortable enough to sleep really well.

Edited for reality Smile

Basically the same here... the meds work somewhat even if I don't have COPD by the GOLD rules.

But there still something seriously wrong as on exertion, I get winded extremely fast and can't seem to change that with conditioning. Also my endurance is a little more than a mile of walking and I haven't been able to change that either! I used to run marathons and ultramarathons. I used to climb big mountains such as Denali.

Now, I have problems climbing a few hundred feet. Just breathing, no chest pains or any indication of heart problems. But that can't be ruled out just yet. Perhaps it is cardiac/vasculary related... I will know more by the end of this week.

Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply
Read page 7 of 28, "Detection accuracy of obstructed airway apnea apneas (OA) and clear airway apneas (CA) by proprietary algorithm in positive airway pressure (PAP) devices. https://www.usa.philips.com/b-dam/b2bhc/...0FINAL.pdf

The pressure pulse used to detect the type of apnea is visible as a flow fluctuation in CA.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 05:49 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Well it's nice to come back to the forum and see that no one slapped me for confusing pressure and flowrate, they kind of be different.

I'm sorry, you did not pay for the full argument.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gotta love this forum, there are some that I would have been ripped a new one already.

from the Mayo Clinic
•Shortness of breath, especially during physical activities
•Wheezing
•Chest tightness
•Having to clear your throat first thing in the morning, due to excess mucus in your lungs
•A chronic cough that produces sputum that may be clear, white, yellow or greenish
•Blueness of the lips or fingernail beds (cyanosis)
•Frequent respiratory infections
•Lack of energy
•Unintended weight loss (in later stages)

I have:
Chest tightness-but only when I lay down
Lack of energy- I would call it low energy. For my cardio rehab I would ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes, pushing it to keep my heart rate up, and call it done in 30 minutes because I was out of energy. I thought this was because of type II diabetes and running out of glucose but perhaps it was the COPD causing my O2 to drop.

Anyway those are the only two symptoms I have and thus unspecified COPD, they don't have a clue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Read page 7 of 28, "Detection accuracy of obstructed airway apnea apneas (OA) and clear airway apneas (CA) by proprietary algorithm in positive airway pressure (PAP) devices. https://www.usa.philips.com/b-dam/b2bhc/...0FINAL.pdf

The pressure pulse used to detect the type of apnea is visible as a flow fluctuation in CA.

Thanks Sleeprider.

The flow change from the pressure pulse really shows up nicely on page 25 as well as depictions of why it may not show up in the flow data.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine cannot treat CAs but it can detect them using a pressure pulse.
A hypop is a flow reduction . The machine has no need to pulse one to know its not a CA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2016, 06:29 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Read page 7 of 28, "Detection accuracy of obstructed airway apnea apneas (OA) and clear airway apneas (CA) by proprietary algorithm in positive airway pressure (PAP) devices. https://www.usa.philips.com/b-dam/b2bhc/...0FINAL.pdf

Thank you: that answers the question when I do see that pulse and rebound. I had not seen that manual and probably neither had my pulmonologist. Thus that small pulse is machine generated, not subject generated. I also tested it last night but I haven't yet looked at the data but I clearly heard a quick change in the pitch of the machine at the 10 second mark.

However, it does not answer the question of CA scoring where there is no pulse and reboubd. This can not be the only part of the algorithm that detects and scores CA's.

There are some criteria that probably needs more exploration including the 40% and 80% reductions in flow from the baseline level.

Walt

Mechanical Engineering
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] unusual high pressure when starting treatment klbklb7 9 720 11-21-2023, 12:41 AM
Last Post: klbklb7
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Unusual central apneas JEDP 4 687 03-10-2022, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  I choke awake immediately on my back or sitting up - is this unusual? pkersey 6 985 08-04-2021, 02:51 AM
Last Post: pkersey
  Unusual Duration of Central Events upsman 5 664 08-03-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: upsman
  Unusual and long Obstructive Apnea RadarRalfs 4 627 07-04-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: RadarRalfs

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.