Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mostly Centrals
RE: Mostly Centrals
you only get one pressure setting for CPAP which is IPAP in the case of Resmed. You can enable EPR in settings to full time at 1 to 3. Other than ASV mldes that is what you have. The good news is, if this works, you own a machine worth a lot more than an Autoset or Vauto...look for a trade.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 07:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: you only get one pressure setting for CPAP which is IPAP in the case of Resmed.  You can enable EPR in settings to full time at 1 to 3.  Other than ASV mldes that is what you have.  The good news is, if this works, you own a machine worth a lot more than an Autoset or Vauto...look for a trade.

Is the respironics remstar auto any good?  Too old?  Or would it be better to get the aircurve 10 auto bipap (not asv) newer and more adjustable?  Thank you for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 07:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: you only get one pressure setting for CPAP which is IPAP in the case of Resmed.  You can enable EPR in settings to full time at 1 to 3.  Other than ASV mldes that is what you have.  The good news is, if this works, you own a machine worth a lot more than an Autoset or Vauto...look for a trade.

There is no EPR available in the CPAP mode on a Resmed 10 ASV. Kind of strange since it is probably just a firmware feature.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 04:41 PM)zzzzk Wrote: I read the JesseLee post and can identify.  I could not get used to the aircurve 10 asv despite it correcting my ahi.  I also never slept for more than an hour at a time.  Is that a common occurrence?  
This is a quote from a journal article I've read, in summary ASV has a fairly poor track record of improving subjective sleep quality.

"The Complex Apnea Resolution Study, which randomized complex sleep apnea subjects to CPAP versus ASV, demonstrated superiority in reduction of the apnea-hypopnea index in the ASV arm, although polysomnographically estimated sleep fragmentation persisted in both arms, and sleepiness/quality of life, were not different."
Post Reply Post Reply
wow, interesting.  I know everyone is different, but generally speaking, which is rated as more effective?  cpap, bipap, apap?  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 09:48 PM)foxfire Wrote:

There is no EPR available in the CPAP mode on a Resmed 10 ASV. Kind of strange since it is probably just a firmware feature.

I'm sorry, I understood EPR was available in CPAP mode.  I don't have access to this machine, so maybe another member can verify.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 10:01 PM)foxfire Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 04:41 PM)zzzzk Wrote: I read the JesseLee post and can identify.  I could not get used to the aircurve 10 asv despite it correcting my ahi.  I also never slept for more than an hour at a time.  Is that a common occurrence?  
This is a quote from a journal article I've read, in summary ASV has a fairly poor track record of improving subjective sleep quality.

"The Complex Apnea Resolution Study, which randomized complex sleep apnea subjects to CPAP versus ASV, demonstrated superiority in reduction of the apnea-hypopnea index in the ASV arm, although polysomnographically estimated sleep fragmentation persisted in both arms, and sleepiness/quality of life, were not different."

The way I read the study summary you posted ASV does not improve sleep quality, it is the same as with CPAP it just produced a lower AHI. Which is not really a score of Sleepy quality but a score of respiration effectiveness
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2018, 10:12 PM)zzzzk Wrote: wow, interesting.  I know everyone is different, but generally speaking, which is rated as more effective?  cpap, bipap, apap?  Thank you.

I don't think we can generalize, treatment is a highly individual thing and there are trade-offs between treatment effectiveness (reduction in AHI) and comfort sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2018, 07:52 AM)foxfire Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 10:12 PM)zzzzk Wrote: wow, interesting.  I know everyone is different, but generally speaking, which is rated as more effective?  cpap, bipap, apap?  Thank you.

I don't think we can generalize, treatment is a highly individual thing and there are trade-offs between treatment effectiveness (reduction in AHI) and comfort sometimes.

Ok, thank you, the reason why I ask is that I read a post by a sleep tech who said straight cpap is best because it constantly keep the airway open, no changes, and that you use your own lungs for the process.  The other types are more for comfort, but interfere with therapy.  I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
to generalize.

We tend NOT to recommend a straight CPAP because an Auto CPAP is more flexible and can be set in a straight CPAP mode.

The correct/preferred machine depends on what condition is being treated and what has failed to successfully treat the apneas.

CPAP choice to treat OSA, CA, obstructive or pulmonary restriction
The Auto CPAP such as the AirSense 10 AutoSet is typically the initial machine of choice for treatment of obstructive apnea and hypopnea
Just to clarify The VAUTO, ASV and the ST are all BiLevel machines for treating three different conditions, they are NOT interchangeable. They are not a choice between the three to treat a single condition.
They should be chosen to treat the specific condition that the user has,
  • To treat obstructive apnea and minor hypopnea and for most initial treatments a standard Auto CPAP such as AirSense AutoSet (or for her) is appropriate.
  • To treat obstructive apnea and hypopnea, and a standard Auto CPAP is insufficient the treatment of choice is the Aircurve 10 Vauto (has higher pressure and greater Pressure Support (PS) (similar to EPR) available
  • To treat central apnea, the only appropriate therapy would be the Aircurve 10 ASV
  • To treat obstructive or pulmonary restriction including hypoventilation, would be the Aircurve 10 ST
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 90 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 17 591 03-31-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 2,113 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 169 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 276 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 446 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 730 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.