Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathers, do you know why you are doing it?
RE: Mouth Breathers, do you know why you are doing it?
I agree about the cigarette thing -- long ago my issue was never quitting; I could do that easily (and I don't mean for a few hours), but it was so easy that it seemed reasonable to smoke the "3 cigarettes per day that I actually enjoyed".

But one was always too many. In a few days, I would be back smoking 1-2 packs a day.

So, my solution was to one day say, "I will never ever smoke another cigarette as long as I live." (And to know internally that I meant it.)

35 years ago.

I dreamed about smoking off and one for 20 years -- not in a way like "I dreamed of getting rich" but rather just had dreams, usually unpleasant, where I would find myself smoking within the dream and feel disgusted or disappointed.

It's never been an issue again.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I am a mouth breather and have accepted it. My doctor and I have talked about it several times. Between sinus issues, some can be corrected by surgery (deviated septum) and others cannot, I use a FFM and keep my humidity around 1 or 2 depending on how I feel. Part of this comes from 20 years of flying jets for the AF. Their training is you breath through your mouth and not the nose as aviator's oxygen is dry - NO humidity in it all. The reason for no humidity is so the lines won't freeze. And the oxygen comes from a liquid oxygen converter. My current FFM fits the same way one of my old oxygen masks did (still have my helmet and mask). My AHI averages in the mid to low 3s for the 7 and 30 day periods. I do get some spiking but that is when I am trying to get back to sleep after my wife wakes me up with her tossing and turning. We both use Biotene (or its equivalent) which seems to help a great deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is from Wikipedia, although I realize their information is not always 100% accurate:

Mouth breathing has been classified according to etiology into 3 groups: obstructive, habitual and anatomic.

The nasal airway may be compromised partially (where there is increased resistance to the flow of air due to narrowing of the lumen at some point in the upper respiratory tract) or completely obstructed. Such individuals may find it difficult or impossible to breathe through their nose alone. In about 85% of cases, mouth breathing is an adaptation to nasal obstruction. Specific causes of nasal obstruction which have been linked to mouth breathing include antrochoanal polyps.

"Pregnancy rhinitis" may lead to nasal obstruction and mouth breathing. This tends occur in the third trimester of pregnancy.

Some individuals breath through their mouth through force of habit, perhaps due to a previous cause of nasal obstruction that is now corrected.

In other cases, the upper lip may be short, and the lips do not meet at rest ("lip incompetence").
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had 3 people, members of the board email me privately to discuss this when I first mentioned dry mouth and what it does to the teeth.
I myself only just found out the damage it can do and it was the reason I was sent for a sleep study.
I who had had beautiful teeth all my life suddenly began to experience cavity after cavity and my dentist sent me for this study in an effort to have me close my mouth before I would end up losing teeth and needing partial dentures as I aged.

Apparently I scared a few people that breathe out of their mouthes as well.

Good news hit the newspaper in Toronto today with regards to this and a new practise that will take place dealing with cavities although it is still 3 years away.

For those that do have an open mouth besides purchasing the special mouth wash that is supposed to create saliva at night time BUT I was also told that when sitting at a computer, reading or doing anything stationary or whereby you can practise this, one should create saliva in their mouthes and swish it around.

The saliva helps heal tooth decay. Dry mouths create tooth decay and it seems when you hit your 50s etc, it speeds up.

Here is the article about it:
http://www.thestar.com/life/technology/2...ffice.html

Quote:By the time a dentist looks at an X-ray and diagnoses a patient with a cavity, he or she is seeing a tooth after it has lost minerals in the enamel and has started to decay.
Teeth can repair themselves by replacing those minerals with ones found in saliva or fluoride through a natural “remineralization” process.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will also add that it wasn't smoking. I see that when I initially began this thread, back in March I think it was, I was still a smoker after 35 odd years but both the hubby and I quit about 7 weeks ago?

Quitting has affected me in different ways but it hasn't changed the fact that I seemed to have a stuffy nose at night.
Funny how i never noticed this for 55 odd years though?!! ;-(
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 3 51 4 minutes ago
Last Post: ck100
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 389 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,172 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.