Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathing
Mouth Breathing
The first week and half I had no problem with this. Even on my back. Now suddenly I am mouth breathing. I added a chin strap. But even with it really tight it isn't helping a lot.

I don't have any problems keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth while I'm awake. I can now drink and talk with the machine running.

Do you think the reason this is happening is that I am finally getting into a deeper sleep? My AHI has risen with the mouth breathing. Not enough to worry about, just a fun fact.

I'd rather not wear a FF mask. So any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Breathing
Sometimes leaks come and go. Your situation does not sound too serious. I think chin straps are not much of a defense and either nasal therapy works or doesn't. Some people find a soft foam cervical collar helps. There is not magic formula, and as long as you mostly breath through your nose, it may not be a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2016, 04:33 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sometimes leaks come and go. Your situation does not sound too serious. I think chin straps are not much of a defense and either nasal therapy works or doesn't. Some people find a soft foam cervical collar helps. There is not magic formula, and as long as you mostly breath through your nose, it may not be a problem.

I'll try the collar. Thx!

I wake up with a sore throat. And I snore when I mouth breath. So it is something I'd like to stop.

Do you think it is happening because I'm getting into a deeper stage of sleep now?
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be a deeper sleep, or maybe a passing phase. I think you will find the cervical collar puts pressure from behind the jaw to keep your mouth closed, while a chinstrap tends to push the jaw back. The difference actually helps to keep your airway open. What is your median or average leak?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2016, 06:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It could be a deeper sleep, or maybe a passing phase. I think you will find the cervical collar puts pressure from behind the jaw to keep your mouth closed, while a chinstrap tends to push the jaw back. The difference actually helps to keep your airway open. What is your median or average leak?

I would like it to be a deeper sleep!

The chin strap is doing nothing. I've tried every adjustment possible.

I was a mouth breather before CPAP. When I didn't do it all the first week or two I was hoping therapy fixed that.

24 L/min
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, yes, and yes. Been there, done that. First I got used to the mask, then learned to sleep, now have to cure leaks. Then started sleeping better, then AHI goes up. Have to fix leaks again.
Welcome to the journey. What I thought were setbacks were really just stages in the journey. Each stage gets better and better. It has been 8 months for me and I thought I was there twice. I know I am close as my afternoon naps are for fun now and not a requirement.

Have patience, make subtle changes and pay attention to the effects.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I don't have any problems keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth while I'm awake. I can now drink and talk with the machine running.
I can barely walk and chew gum. Nice feat. Actually, I can yawn and breath. Not tried drinking yet. Talking is still a bit of a problem but working on it.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin straps mostly just remind you to keep your mouth closed, since most stretch, and your jaw is strong, and even if they hold your jaw closed, you can still breath through your lips. I now, been there and tried everything - including gluing and taping my mouth shut... I ended up having to go with a FFM.

Good luck!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
And when Frank says he tried everything, he really means everything! It was an impressive display of dedication, perseverance, and ingenuity.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to put my collar on last night and when I woke up at about 1:30 am I certainly knew it from how dry my mouth was.

AHI was 3.38 for the whole night and yet it was only 0.46 for the 4+ hours I forgot to put the collar on and the vibratory snore was zero which doesn't make sense to me. Maybe after all this time I'm mastering the tongue suck technique.

However, my RERA reading for this period was 7.08 which I know is not good.

With the collar on the RERAs went down to below 2.0. For me the collar is important in my therapy for limiting mouth breathing. Hope it works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,097 39 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 23 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 363 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.