Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathing
Mouth Breathing
In my case, it helps a lot. Seems most go out of their way to make sure their mouth stays closed during sleep. If my mouth is slightly opened, I can exhale much better. Last night I tried using a medical grade plastic piece to keep my mouth from completely staying shut, I slept deeper and longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Breathing
As you are no doubt beginning to appreciate, everyone's experience with PAP therapy, as it pertains to them, is unique.  Our individuality explains a great deal of the variance across masks, algorithms, and our responses, including learning and adaptation.  

I'm happy to learn that some people actually sleep considerably better with their mouths at least partially opened.  It isn't the case typically, but maybe it's best to assume that none of us is 'typical'.

Thanks for reporting your experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a die hard mouth breather. I've tried to breathe thru my nose, but I can't get enough air. I don't seem to experience as much dry mouth as other complain about.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
My mouth is like the Sahara Desert when I wake up mouth breathing. But, in my case, it helps with exhaling. That's what wakes me up, trying to exhale air, inhaling is fine. I've looked into mouth pieces that are made for snoring. Most just cost to much. Not worth spending 50$ just to find out it doesn't help. Can you imagine that on Amazon, "Anti Snoring Device/ New 50$/ Used 25$ ????
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a simple mouth guard (one of those you drop in hot water and shape it around your mouth) which seems to keep my mouth slightly open but not enough to dry my mouth out, worth a try
Post Reply Post Reply
The question is if you are exhaling out of your mouth or if having your mouth slightly open is improving your airway (gives more room for tongue to move forward etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand what Jeremy is saying about Sahara Desert dry mouth. I used to have it too. Tried the tongue trick and also FFM with no significant results.

Realizing that everyone's case is different, mine seems to have been solved by changing to the Brevida pillow mask by Fisher & Paykel. It is a super sealer. No leaks over redline.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's exhaling that is my problem. My uvula acts like a sink stopper blocking being able to exhale through my nose. Not all the time, but enough to wake me up. Tried again last night, long vivid dreams, wake up feeling more rested. Had a dream an alien space craft landed in my back yard, then aliens got out, waking around. They acted kinda gay, then realized, they were Gayliens!
Post Reply Post Reply
Aliens in the back yard? Were they after you?

This reminds me of the tv show "The Twilight Show" by Rod Serling.
Post Reply Post Reply
The phenomenon is called palatal prolapse and if you are prone to it then yes being able to exhale through mouth is going to be advantageous. Not everyone has that issue or ability (as mentioned I can do it on purpose when awake but it doesn't happen when I am asleep).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,063 6 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 797 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.