Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to the board - few questions hopefully I can get help with
RE: New to the board - few questions hopefully I can get help with
Pressure and severity are independent non-correlated variables. Mild Apnea patients can have very high pressures, and very severe patients can only need very low pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
The doctor had set my pressure initially to 15. My sleep study said my AHI was 23 (moderate apnea). I told him what was going on and he agreed to lower it to 12. I dropped it to 11 last night and it was better.

I used my full face mask though and my AHI was up to 7.6 where as when using the nasal pillow mask, it was always under 5. However, I'm questioning whether the numbers for the pillow are accurate because if I'm opening my mouth periodically during the night it could be skewing my numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious... is there a setting on the iBreeze in the providers menu for mask setting? Similar to ResMed, where you can choose nasal, full face or nasal pillow. When you switch masks types, that setting should be changed too.

On the iBreeze, press the round knob and the ramp button simultaneously for about 3 seconds to access the Clinicians Menu.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2022, 07:35 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Curious... is there a setting on the iBreeze in the providers menu for mask setting?  Similar to ResMed, where you can choose nasal, full face or nasal pillow.  When you switch masks types, that setting should be changed too.  

On the iBreeze, press the round knob and the ramp button simultaneously for about 3 seconds to access the Clinicians Menu.

Yeah there is.  I always change it when I'm changing between masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2022, 05:44 AM)FriedRice Wrote: The doctor had set my pressure initially to 15.  My sleep study said my AHI was 23 (moderate apnea).  I told him what was going on and he agreed to lower it to 12.  I dropped it to 11 last night and it was better.

Good. Keep it there for awhile and see if your AHI drops.

Quote:I used my full face mask though and my AHI was up to 7.6 where as when using the nasal pillow mask, it was always under 5.  However, I'm questioning whether the numbers for the pillow are accurate because if I'm opening my mouth periodically during the night it could be skewing my numbers.

When you're mouth-leaking your airway can collapse, meaning your CPAP machine is doing nothing for you. You can't tell if this is happening by looking at just your leak statistics. You have to look at your leak graph.

Set IPR to the maximum of 3 to help with the aerophagia. Also try the soft cervical collar. It may help with the aerophagia and also the mouth-leaking. As you adapt your aerophagia may fade away. Mouth-leaking, too. The soft cervical collar may be needed only temporarily as a training device. But if you sleep without your CPAP machine it will be harder for you to adapt and train yourself.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2022, 09:03 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Good. Keep it there for awhile and see if your AHI drops.

When you're mouth-leaking your airway can collapse, meaning your CPAP machine is doing nothing for you. You can't tell if this is happening by looking at just your leak statistics. You have to look at your leak graph.

Set IPR to the maximum of 3 to help with the aerophagia. Also try the soft cervical collar. It may help with the aerophagia and also the mouth-leaking. As you adapt your aerophagia may fade away. Mouth-leaking, too. The soft cervical collar may be needed only temporarily as a training device. But if you sleep without your CPAP machine it will be harder for you to adapt and train yourself.

Thanks for the tips.  Are these the reasons some just start or use a full face mask?  I'm almost tempted to resort back to that to keep it simple.  I wouldn't have to be concerned if my mouth opens while sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a chin strap the last two nights that someone recommended. My leak rate was 0L/min Friday night and 4.3L/min last night with AHI of 1.7 and .7 respectively. I'm working on breathing through my mouth and the chin strap made a huge difference. I was getting frustrated and about to buy another mask. I'm very happy with these numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO, some sleep docs and respiratory therapists recommend a full face mask because it is easier FOR THEM to do so, not because it is in the patient's best interest. Rather than go to FFM, consider mouth taping to prevent the mouth from falling open. Many here do so. I personally prefer the MedVance silicone tape (2 inch width) found on Amaz** because it is easy on the skin when removing in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2022, 03:47 PM)FriedRice Wrote: Thanks for the tips.  Are these the reasons some just start or use a full face mask?  I'm almost tempted to resort back to that to keep it simple.  I wouldn't have to be concerned if my mouth opens while sleeping.

Well, here's the issue. Think of the region where the top of the back of the tongue meets the roof of your mouth as a valve. You can form a seal there. When the valve is closed, the air that's coming in and out of your lungs is forced through your nose. When the valve is open, there is no seal and you can breathe through your mouth. This is all without a CPAP machine.

With a CPAP machine, when you are wearing a nasal mask the pressure behind the valve is greater than the pressure in front of the valve, that is to say the pressure in your airway is greater than the pressure in your mouth. You can try all kinds of techniques to keep this valve closed. A chin strap. A soft cervical collar. A training technique where you try to keep the tip of your tongue up against the roof of your mouth during the day. Taping. Each, when used, is needed because of the pressure difference.

A full face mask eliminates the problem entirely by making the pressure the same on both sides of the valve. Now it doesn't matter if the valve is open or closed. The problem is solved. If you find you can't tolerate a full face mask put it away for awhile and try again later. Things get easier as we adapt.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an update (good one).

So I tried a chin strap and my numbers went from 30's/upper 40's (L/min) to 0-4L/min. Extremely happy with this. I didn't want to have to buy another full face mask. Chin strap is a game changer. I can continue to use the Airfit P10 now.

My numbers are extremely good now. AHI is 0-2 and my leak rate as stated above is 0 to at most 4L/min.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 155 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,321 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 485 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.