Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathing
Mouth Breathing
I've been trying different things to get mouth breathing under control.  I switched from full face to nasal pillows.  Nasal pillows are much more tolerable for me.  However, the downside comes with mouth breathing.

While I could easily switch to a full face mask, I was reading about how bad mouth breathing is.  So my thinking was that the goal should be to mitigate mouth breathing rather than just rely on using a full face mask.  

If I can eliminate the mouth breathing either by taping or chin strap, I think this would be preferable to using a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Breathing
(07-07-2022, 08:05 AM)FriedRice Wrote: While I could easily switch to a full face mask, I was reading about how bad mouth breathing is.  So my thinking was that the goal should be to mitigate mouth breathing rather than just rely on using a full face mask.  

Switch to a full face mask. It doesn't matter if you breathe through your mouth when you're wearing a full face mask. That's what they're designed for.

The issue with mouth breathing being a problem arises only when you're wearing a nasal mask. The reason is becaaue if your mouth falls open the pressurized CPAP air will escape out your mouth. Now your CPAP machine can't maintain the pressure splint in your airway and it collapses. It's true that a chin strap or a soft cervical collar may mitigate the problem, but a full face mask is the best solution.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
True, good point. I think I'm going to go to the CPAP store today after work and get another full face mask. I have the Vitera and it's just OK. Leaking too much for my liking.

I looked up mouth breathing and most seem to suggest it's not healthy or good and you should try and eliminate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick word about the Vitera. Most people overtighten the upper straps. This prevents the roll seal to fully inflating, thus leakage. Think of the upper straps as placeholders, while the lower straps provide proper tension control. If the Viteria's seal is allowed to fully inflate, it is very forgiving for facial structure and movement.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2022, 09:51 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: A quick word about the Vitera.  Most people overtighten the upper straps.  This prevents the roll seal to fully inflating, thus leakage.  Think of the upper straps as placeholders, while the lower straps provide proper tension control.  If the Viteria's seal is allowed to fully inflate, it is very forgiving for facial structure and movement.

Good to know thank you.  I will try it again.

The more I read about mouth breathing though, it's something I feel I should try and eliminate.  Comes with a lot of other health issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed! However, using an FFM allows you to mouth breathe and still receive the proper therapy pressure to address your apnea.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Very true. I tried again and struggled with getting the Vitera to properly seal. Frustrating. I'll keep trying or switch to another brand if need be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing I forgot to mention; Based off reports from other members, the F&P masks, in general, like to be worn lower on the face as opposed to a mask like the Resmed "F" series.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2022, 09:58 AM)FriedRice Wrote: The more I read about mouth breathing though, it's something I feel I should try and eliminate.  Comes with a lot of other health issues.

That's true only for nasal masks. Mouth breathing through a full face mask is NOT a problem.

Plus, unless you have some kind of issue with your sinuses, you will find yourself breathing through your nose almost all the time. Especially when you have the extra pressure from your CPAP machine.

The real issue is mouth-leaking. As I mentioned before, when wearing a nasal mask the pressurized CPAP air can escape through your mouth, ruining your therapy. This can happen to you even if you're not a mouth breather. When that air leaks out of your mouth like that it can also disturb your sleep.

If you can view your leak rate graph on your computer you can tell if you're mouth-leaking.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a Resmed F20 AirFit. I then went to the F30 AirFit once it hit the market.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,141 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.