Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is my DME unique?
Is my DME unique?
Does anyone else have a not-for-profit DME?
Although I have been with my present DME from the beginning of entry as a new hosehead, I just learned this surprising fact about it.
It's regional in coverage (not a huge area, which I knew) and it was put together with original financing supplied by hospitals located in each city/area that it serves. I'm not sure but would guess that the hospitals involved are themselves also nonprofit.
This makes me take a new look at issues such as profit margins on the sale of machines with various price tags, which has come up again and again among board members.
It may also explain why an RT at this DME did not steer me away from the desire to switch from an S9 Elite to an AutoSet. Matter of fact, it was the RT who explained to me that even though I was beyond the first 30 days of ownership of the Elite, I could still move up to the AutoSet as long as I was in the initial 13 mos. per Medicare rules. Looking forward to comparing notes with others regarding my discovery about my DME.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is my DME unique?
(05-18-2012, 09:54 AM)Dawei Wrote: Does anyone else have a not-for-profit DME?

Never heard of such a thing, in the US at least.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many times an organization can set themselves up as "not-for-profit" organization as far as their legal and tax status is concerned. But they do indeed make money (profits).

From the above linked Wiki article:

Wikipedia Wrote:While not-for-profit organizations are permitted to generate surplus revenues, they must be retained by the organization for its self-preservation, expansion, or plans.[2] NPOs have controlling members or boards. Many have paid staff including management, while others employ unpaid volunteers and even executives who work with or without compensation (occasionally nominal).

Designation as a nonprofit and an intent to make money are not related in the United States. This means nothing can be conferred by the declaration

Many of the paid executive and managerial positions within these "not-for-profit" organizations are well-paid. Sometimes, pay bonuses are linked to the amount of increase in "funding levels" a company manager can achieve. Thus, they get monetary rewards for bringing in cash flow to the organization.

As one example, Goodwill Industries is a not-for-profit organization. However, organizations like it have been criticized for compensating their execs at very high levels:

Wikipedia Wrote:In 2005, Goodwill Industries of the Columbia Willamette (GICW), Goodwill's Portland, Oregon branch, came under scrutiny due to executive compensation that the Oregon attorney general's office concluded was "unreasonable." President Michael Miller received $838,508 in pay and benefits for fiscal year 2004, which was reportedly out of line in comparison to other charity executives and placed him in the top one percent of American wage earners.

So, the non-profit or not-for-profit distinction does not mean that these organizations make no profit. Many times, especially in the larger organizations, the higher up management is getting quite rich.

As far as a DME, they may be set up as a not-for-profit, but doing that sets no quantified limitations (legally) on executive or managerial compensation. The DME's board members and managers can still be getting quite wealthy, even though they work for a so-called "non-profit" organization.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be interested to know which one, since I am out in WNC as well. My insurance deals with Apria, who I have heard both good and bad things about.

I am set up to receive my equipment soon, so I have not yet had my first visit with any DME. I just completed my titration study last night. I have, however, asked for my sleep doctor to specifically write the prescription for the machine I have researched and feel will do the best for setting me up with success with CPAP (a Resmed S9 AutoSet).

Marianne
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2012, 01:56 PM)notyorz Wrote: I am set up to receive my equipment soon, so I have not yet had my first visit with any DME. I just completed my titration study last night. I have, however, asked for my sleep doctor to specifically write the prescription for the machine I have researched and feel will do the best for setting me up with success with CPAP (a Resmed S9 AutoSet).

Marianne
Hi Marianne
It would help if the doc write on the prescription S9 Autoset and the pressure range for example 8-12 and dispense as written so you get the exact machine whats on the prescription bc its known for some DME to give you something else. also make sure it says AutoSet next to stop/start button as the S9 Escape Auto is not full data capable. it should look like this one http://www.apneaboard.com/s9-pic1.jpg

You might be lucky with the mask used at the titration study but for most it take several to find the right mask and the right mask is the most essential for successful therapy
Best of luck on your CPAP journey
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board, Marianne, and good for you re: doing the research and specifically requesting an AutoSet!
My DME is Advanced Home Care.
Post Reply Post Reply
And mine is Blue Ridge. Run from them. Quickly and steadily. In my opinion, that is.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk for the info. I'm looking forward to trying on different masks in time to find "The One". For now, I think I'll start with the one that worked during the test.

Dawei, thank you for the warm welcome!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Unique situation, wondering if anyone could elaborate on my study kc90 6 537 12-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise. gold3n 5 662 11-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Bit of a unique situation not sure how to proceed SleepyIntern 9 1,065 08-08-2022, 09:11 PM
Last Post: SleepyIntern
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 649 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is my problem unique? Gary K 12 4,845 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Last Post: TyroneShoes

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.