Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathing Information Wanted
Mouth Breathing Information Wanted
Hello Folks,

The purpose of this thread is to collect information on methods used by forum members to control mouth breathing/leaking that have worked for them.

Please do not discuss the method itself except to describe the method. A separate thread can be started if desired to discuss the particular methods in detail.

The information gathered here will be used to help generate a future Wiki article on Mouth Breathing/Leaking as it relates to xPAP therapy.

Thanks
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Breathing Information Wanted
For patients using a nasal or pillows mask, the first remedy to try is a chin strap.

Other things that can help keep the nasal airway open are helpful, too. Sinus rinses, nasal sprays, decongestants, and antihistamines are all things that can help keep your nasal passages clear.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Reply not helpful- sorry- deleted by zimlich.
Post Reply Post Reply
What he wants is methods used, not a discussion of those methods. If I have a method to share, of course I have to discuss it to share it. But if, for example, I wanted to discuss Zonk's method, he would need to do so in another thread.

I would have thought common sense would have made that clear but I guess not.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the chinstrap method and still practicing the tongue method
Post Reply Post Reply
Why not then just have another "too many to mention" polls, with no added thread for discussion.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
After unsuccessfully trying the tongue method plus chin strap for an extended period, the solution I found was switching to Respironics' FitLife complete face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Folks, If you want to discuss the method it is fine. What I would like to collect is basic information on methods that the members have used that worked for them. There is no problem if you would like to elaborate on your method. I apologize if the what I originally asked was too restrictive.

Thank you for your input and for participating. Smile Thanks
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I went the full face mask route. I started with the Swift FX and experienced mouth leaks during the night, even when coupled with a chin strap. I really only wanted to use one contraption if possible and went for the least obtrusive ffm's possible. I started with the Resmed Mirage Liberty hybrid mask but had issues getting the nasal pillows to seal throughout the night. Next was the Quattro FX and that has been my mask of choice for about 7 months now. I've tried a couple others, but have settled on the Quattro FX as the best mask for me as I'm able to get zero or close to zero leaks almost every night now. Banana Covers the nose and mouth, but no forehead support bar.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Regular polyp removal from the nasal passages thus restoring my ability to breathe through my nose and the Optilife nasal pillow mask with built in chin strap.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,171 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 809 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.