Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Breathing and type of mask
Mouth Breathing and type of mask
I have been using CPAP about a month now. I was initially given a full face mask - I had requested the Dreamwear Full face. I had some issues with it because the mouth piece is too small. I then purchased the Dreamwear Nasal mask. That has been the one I have been using and have gotten better results - usually in the 2.5 AHI range, sometimes in the 1.5 range. I just tried the AirTouch F20.

Now here's what I have noticed. With both the Dreamwear full face and Airtouch I breathe mostly through my mouth. This of course causes dryness and all sorts of other issues. At the same time I like the lack of pressure on my nostrils. However, I don't get as good a sleep with those masks.

I tried the Dreamwear nasal, expecting to have lots of problems with mouth breathing. But surprisingly, I have had very little of that. Looking at my sleepyhead data perhaps once a night, and usually pretty close to waking up time. Even weirder, I know I have kept my mouth open. I can even drink water without air blowing out my mouth. The big difference I have noticed though is that using the nasal mask my nasal passages clear up, whereas with the full face mask, they clog up quickly.

My theory is that with the nasal mask, the air pressure works to open the nasal passages to the throat, while pressing the soft palate forward and blocking off my mouth. While with a full face mask the opposite happens, pressing the soft palate back blocking off my nasal passages.

Assuming this hypothesis is correct, which is a better situation? So far none of the masks are really to my liking. I am a stomach sleeper. The Dreamwear full face is just too small and leaks, the AirTough puts far too much pressure on my nasal bridge and protrudes too much so that I can turn on my side, plus the air hose gets in the way, while the Dreamwear nasal presses up on my nose, being painful and always dislodges when I turn my head on the side. Since there really is no place to try on masks, and my provider isn't the most helpful, I need to really research my next mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Breathing and type of mask
We were all intended to breathe mostly thru the nose, not the mouth.
The answer is pillow masks. The question is which one. Many here use the P10 with is the smallest and quietest mask out there.
If you haven't already, read the Mask Primer.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamwear Nasal is really more a pillow type than a true nasal mask - it only lies under the nose. But pillow types I find tend to dislodge easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why does wearing a full face mask cause you to breathe through your mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2019, 12:16 AM)StevesSp Wrote: Why does wearing a full face mask cause you to breathe through your mouth?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.My initial theory was that because there was pressure coming in from both my mouth and nose, the soft palate was pressed backwards and cut off air from my nasal passages. Last night I tried the mask again and realized that normally that shouldnt matter because my mouth would be closed, but for some reason with the full face mask I keep my mouth open.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,540 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 283 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 105 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 349 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 9 16,886 04-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.