Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Leaker?
RE: Mouth Leaker?
(05-28-2015, 05:34 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: DV - from the plot, which you probably posted because it was the interesting part, there is no correlation between leaks and expected attenuation in flow rate. while the pressure setting is 9-20, his apnea is well controlled and constant at 9 (plus the standard PRS1 pressure spikes to 10.5). The plot shows no adjustments to pressure throughout this clip. it is interesting that the snores happened when leak was low. you might expect the flow rate to be attenuated at those points - which does not seem to be true, and you might expect that he is mouth breathing when he snores which would increase the leakage (theoretically). if he could somehow not leak when mouth breathing, it would probably show an increase in TV and flow rate. so, based on this, I would be willing to believe he is not mouth breathing. This leaves leaking at mask to face interface. Would he be willing to try pad/liner for a trial?

QAL

btw. Did his resp get bumpy between 23:35 and 00:25? If so, he may have been REM sleeping and pretty un-disturbed by the skin interface leakage which would normally awaken him.

Why would you expect the flow rate to attenuate due to leaks?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2015, 10:44 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Why would you expect the flow rate to attenuate due to leaks?

The air is not coming back out the nose, so flow would show as less. Maybe I actually meant that the exhale would be attenuated.

Perhaps the inhale flow would actually be expected to increase.

Smile

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 07:16 PM)JVinNE Wrote: Sleepster, does your Simplus cause deep lines in your face?

Nope! Every once in a while I'll wake up with a line on one cheek because of the way I'd been sleeping.

Nothing compared to the marks I had from my nasal pillows mask strap and the chin strap.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2015, 10:03 AM)DariaVader Wrote: That little clip is how long he spent on the machine that particular night. He goes to bed with the machine, and then gets up and sleeps in a chair without it when he wakes.

If he's not compliant the data doesn't mean anything. Use an oximeter to convince him that his life is at stake.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.