Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Leaks = CAs?
Mouth Leaks = CAs?
The last two nights I've been getting mouth leaks a lot - but it seems only in the later periods of my sleeping. I'm always fine for the first 3-4 hours but then the next 3-4 hours are filled with mouth leaks. It's almost like my tongue gets tired of pressing up against the top of my mouth. I wake up with the leaf blower affect with air shooting through my naval cavity down in to my mouth, push my tongue up, fall back asleep, and then reawaken with the air blowing down into and out of my mouth. This happens repeatedly in the 2nd half of the night, and it wakes me out of sleep each time.

A few questions - 
  • will a mouth breathing leak cause your machine to think you're having a CA, which will then increase pressure?
  • How can I analyze the data in Sleepyhead to see if it was truly a CA or a mouth leak?
  • I see good things in posts about a "soft cervical collar" but I wasn't able to find a link to the best one to purchase. Can someone send me a link?
  • Is it strange that this only happens in the earlier parts of the morning? I get a great 3-4 hour block of sleep to start out the night.
I attached a few CAs from last night along with the full night. It looks like a good night of sleep but after 4:30 I was blasted out of sleep & wide awake ~7 times. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Leaks = CAs?
First a CA event won't increase pressure. The machine will reduce pressure in response to a CA event. For links on cervical collars you can try Amazon or your local drug store. There is not any one soft collar that works for all. You'll have to measure yourself and than try them on. As far as the time of night when your having mouth leaks it could be as simple as you rolling to your back at that time each night.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Leaks = CAs?
a question and a few comments.

WW, is that right? does an apap respond to ca by lowering pressure? I've never understood what an apap does with respect to ca, if anything. it does ID them so it I guess it responds somehow.

isuck, I just shopped around town at the pharmacies for a soft cervical collar. surprisingly hard to find but Walgreens has 2, one adjustable and one not. both under $20. good place to start, otherwise people seem to shop online for wedges (front only, strap around back of neck) like dr dakota or a wrap around like releaf caldera or something like that. might take a few tries to find best for you.

the worst part of my night for snoring, leaks and events is in the later part of the night / early morning like somewhere between about 3 and 6. that's when I tend to get my longest sleep sessions and presumably reach deepest sleep when everything goes lax so not surprising it might happen to you too.

I believe mouth leaks can sometimes be identified in flow rate, particularly with non ffm's I think, by series of reduced magnitude exhales.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 357 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 133 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.