Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Tape Question
RE: Mouth Tape Question
3M Corp brand 'NexCare' 'water resistant' white tape is what I use.  A roll of 11 meters lasts me about three months, and each roll costs me CDN$5.

I do get a thin white residue line across my upper lip now and then, maybe once a week.  A stiffened finger rub dispenses with the bulk of it.  Paper towel scrub takes care of anything else that doesn't come off.
Post Reply Post Reply
mesenteria, i tried a nexcare tape but it wasn't the water resistant type, which wasn't available. amazing how many styles of tape there are. Anyway, the Nexcare that I got was a bit painful. I just ordered the fixomul flex but forgot about shipping fees on amazon. In any case I hope it's the right tape--it says 'flex' but it's only 10cm wide instead of 15, as described.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2020, 05:09 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: I have used Witch Hazel regular 14 % alcohol for other medical holding devices seals and tapes and it work well and was easy on my skin. You can also buy Witch Hazel toner with no Alcohol that a lot of folks use also. Witch hazel has been used for cleaning and skin care for over 100 + years! It is also astringent that can be used for other topical health matters.
Just tried the Witch Hazel. It's not perfect, but it does help.  Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2020, 02:08 PM)hegel Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 04:52 AM)multicast Wrote: None, because there's no residue from the tape I use, Fixomull stretch.  Secondly, I pull my lips slightly inwards before applying the tape; that is also good for a better sealing.

I've re-grown my goatee--will this tape work with facial hair?

Please let me know if you can find a way for tape to work with facial hair!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2020, 02:24 PM)mesenteria Wrote: 3M Corp brand 'NexCare' 'water resistant' white tape is what I use.  A roll of 11 meters lasts me about three months, and each roll costs me CDN$5.

I do get a thin white residue line across my upper lip now and then, maybe once a week.  A stiffened finger rub dispenses with the bulk of it.  Paper towel scrub takes care of anything else that doesn't come off.

Interesting. Does it hurt when you take it off?

NexCare...I may have some...
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2020, 05:09 PM)Canuck 2 Wrote: I have used Witch Hazel regular 14 % alcohol for other medical holding devices seals and tapes and it work well and was easy on my skin. You can also buy Witch Hazel toner with no Alcohol that a lot of folks use also. Witch hazel has been used for cleaning and skin care for over 100 + years! It is also astringent that can be used for other topical health matters.

Thank you!
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2020, 08:38 PM)DaveL Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 02:24 PM)mesenteria Wrote: 3M Corp brand 'NexCare' 'water resistant' white tape is what I use.  A roll of 11 meters lasts me about three months, and each roll costs me CDN$5.

It doesn't hurt me.  I tried a tan coloured tape two years ago that darned near tore my lips off, let alone the skin to which it was very strongly affixed, but the NexCare 'water resistant' white tape, 1" wide, works very well on a clean mouth, low whiskers, and if it is pressed firmly into place once applied.  Next morning, I grab the folded edge and just peel it off in one motion that takes maybe 3 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2020, 02:11 AM)mesenteria Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 08:38 PM)DaveL Wrote:

It doesn't hurt me.  I tried a tan coloured tape two years ago that darned near tore my lips off, let alone the skin to which it was very strongly affixed, but the NexCare 'water resistant' white tape, 1" wide, works very well on a clean mouth, low whiskers, and if it is pressed firmly into place once applied.  Next morning, I grab the folded edge and just peel it off in one motion that takes maybe 3 seconds.

Thanks! I have a roll of 3M white tape, but don't know if it's water resistant. My lips hurt when I pull it off.  I'll look for a new roll...of water resistant tape. I worked for 3M in London ON for 15 years. They were making a transition then away from solvent based adhesives to water based.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Well the Fixomul flex tape came and I thought, that was a big waste of money. But it's terrific! I have a goatee and there were no issues with the tape staying on or coming off--no pain. You do have to cut the tape to size but that's no big deal. So I spent my first entire night wearing tape. I wasn't claustrophobic--probably because I'd tried this before and had some experience. I was also able to peel back the Fixomul and get a glass of water, then reseal it--works fine!

That said, my leak rate for the P10 was near thirty. Worst ever. I've been having issues for several nights. I did just get new straps and pillows. In the end my mouth breathing may not be the issue at all and so I won't need the tape. Wearing a neck brace seems to have solved the issue all on its own.Frankly I'm half convinced that tucking my chin is the source of my apnea, and the brace stops that. My ahi is tiny very consistently.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hegel, are you using the 10 cm width? I'm thinking I'd like to try this. And good luck with the mask leakage!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,171 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.