Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Taping? [as sole treatment]
RE: Mouth Taping? [as sole treatment]
(09-27-2017, 09:36 AM)Bill Mathias Wrote: ...I'm very aware that I'm a mouth breather. Due to this, when I awake at night, my mouth is very dry.

You might be a mouth breather because you're having to gulp for air.....natural reaction if your airway closes. It's like the automatic response of gulping when you're drowning and can't breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever wonder if your Doctor was just a C student? I know I'd be wondering.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla, your response above is surprising and unnecessary, especially after your helpful response on the previous page. And thanks to all for the informative responses so far. My Dr. actually did suggest a chin strap. I then asked about taping the entire mouth closed. She said it would be ok if I wanted to try it as I would then be breathing correctly thru my nose, but still recommended the strap. The only reason I posted my question is that I was thrilled about sleeping thru the night for the first time in 10 years, and it must have been due to the tape. I probably will pick up a strap within the next week to try it. (this is why I asked the question regarding the difference between the tape & strap). But for tonight, I'll try the tape again. It would be great if it worked as well as last night, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 05:57 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Ever wonder if your Doctor was just a C student? I know I'd be wondering.

Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, you will surprised that most folks here have more knowledge on sleep apnea than many sleep doctors. It is clear that taping and chin straps only keep the mouth from opening. These 2 methods will not stop your throat from relaxing, resulting in the airway closing up and restricting oxygen intake which will trigger an apnea event. A CPAP machine increases air pressure in your throat will prevent that.

Thus, you can't blame us for poking at your doctor for even suggesting that using a tape or chin strap can alleviate or cure mild sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that you will find cervical collar to be at least as effective and more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bil Mathias,

It was said in jest.

But to tell you the truth I've often wondered that about some Doctors I've seen.

Also hearing some of the horror stories here it really isn't that bad a question to ask yourself if you start doubting the Doctor treating you.

If your happy with your Doctor than more power to you.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Again, employing a method to keep one's mouth closed will do little to nothing for actual treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. To treat sleep apnea, one needs a dental device or a CPAP. These keep the airway open.

Keeping the mouth closed, without CPAP use, merely keeps the mouth from becoming dry. This is probably why you feel as if you slept better. Your dry mouth did not wake you. It will do nothing to treat the sleep apnea itself.

For any "doctor" to suggest this as treatment -- chin strap or to agree to taping -- is just wrong and a big liability.

To reuse my the analogy I used previously, would we go back to a mechanic who suggested we turn up the radio to cover up the sound of the power steering whine? No, we would not. We need to hold doctors to the same standard and far too often, we don't.

Sleep apnea isn't like a cold where we just treat the symptoms.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2017, 09:03 PM)Bill Mathias Wrote: Walla, your response above is surprising and unnecessary, especially after your helpful response on the previous page...

Please read this with a gently, friendly voice as this is how I would be speaking to you. My written words may seem harsh and I do not mean them to be.

When people here are speaking of using some method to keep their mouth closed, it is so that the therapeutic pressurized air of the xPAP device can reach the throat. The only way to treat sleep apnea is to open the airway to your lungs by opening the throat.

Your doctor suggesting that you keep your mouth shut by tape does not address your need to open your throat and get oxygen to your lungs. Sleep apnea has long-term health consequences and is a threat to your health, even to your life.

For a doctor not to know that is, well, somewhat concerning.

If Walla's joke made you stop for a moment and consider, "Hmmm. Why is my doctor advising something that places my health in jeopardy?" then that is a good thing, to my way of thinking.

I do hope that my writing does not sound harsh or offensive. You've received many good responses. It just seems (to me) that you may be missing the point though and are focusing on comfort issues rather than health issues.

As to sleeping better when your mouth was taped: most awakenings are not remembered. I tested at 70 AHI, yet my memory is only of awakening 2-3 times during the night (certainly not 70 per hour).

eta: I will point out that I am a nose-breather. Breathing from your nose does not help or cure OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some good instructive explanations on this page. I'm understanding now. I did sleep another night without awaking with the taped mouth, which is really nice (and amazing), but I understand this doesn't cure the issue. I think the chin straps and the tape does basically the same thing... keeps the mouth closed but doesn't fix the problem... is this correct? Also, do these cervical collars fix the problem (keep the airway open)? If they don't fix the problem, then what are the collars accomplishing? thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 49 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 120 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.