Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Taping? [as sole treatment]
RE: Mouth Taping? [as sole treatment]
The collar is another way to keep your mouth closed. It is said to be a more comfortable method than the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2017, 01:51 PM)Bill Mathias Wrote: ...I did sleep another night without awaking with the taped mouth, which is really nice (and amazing), but I understand this doesn't cure the issue..

It occurs to me, and perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in, would it perhaps be worth wearing a recording pulse oximeter at night to see how your oxygen levels are?

I wore one (used) and it gave an alert every time my blood oxygen level dropped below a certain level. The alert woke me up, so I eventually turned it off - the setting could only go down to 80-something and my lowest O2 is 60. However.. considering your situation, if you wanted to get a decent idea of how the OSA is affecting your oxygen levels, maybe this would be a good way to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bill,
I find that mouth taping works better for my dry mouth than a collar or chin strap. I think it would be hard to do for a long period. I've only done it for 2 months and I am ready to try something different.
I just ordered a full face mask to see whether I can tolerate it.
Bill, what ever works for you is what you should go with.
It's good that you have a doctor that is willing to go with your ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cervical collars accomplish 2 things,  
1: They maintain/encourage a better anatomical position keeping the airway open.
2: They nudge the mouth closed helping to prevent "mouth breathing"

The use of Cervical Collars was "discovered" here about 2 years ago.  It seems to work well for some Apnea patients.  

Biotene or Xylomelt are what we see recommended by Doctors for Dry mouth. Have you tried either of these?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fred,
I am not sure if the question is for me but I'll answer it anyway.
I haven't tried either of the products but I've thought about getting some.
Mainly my dry mouth is associated with large leaks, so by preventing the large leaks I don't need the Biotene.
Currently I use both a collar and tape my mouth which works well. Whatever I go with, I think I will keep using the collar. It helps but does not eliminate the large leaks(dry mouth). I also believe it reduces event clusters that I have occasionally.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2017, 12:18 PM)kiwii Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 09:03 PM)Bill Mathias Wrote: Walla, your response above is surprising and unnecessary, especially after your helpful response on the previous page...

Please read this with a gently, friendly voice as this is how I would be speaking to you. My written words may seem harsh and I do not mean them to be.

When people here are speaking of using some method to keep their mouth closed, it is so that the therapeutic pressurized air of the xPAP device can reach the throat. The only way to treat sleep apnea is to open the airway to your lungs by opening the throat.

Your doctor suggesting that you keep your mouth shut by tape does not address your need to open your throat and get oxygen to your lungs. Sleep apnea has long-term health consequences and is a threat to your health, even to your life.

For a doctor not to know that is, well, somewhat concerning.

If Walla's joke made you stop for a moment and consider, "Hmmm. Why is my doctor advising something that places my health in jeopardy?" then that is a good thing, to my way of thinking.

I do hope that my writing does not sound harsh or offensive. You've received many good responses. It just seems (to me) that you may be missing the point though and are focusing on comfort issues rather than health issues.

As to sleeping better when your mouth was taped: most awakenings are not remembered. I tested at 70 AHI, yet my memory is only of awakening 2-3 times during the night (certainly not 70 per hour).

eta: I will point out that I am a nose-breather. Breathing from your nose does not help or cure OSA.

Lolabove Well said.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mogy... I certainly understand how taping would be easier and more comfortable than the chin strap wrapped tightly on your head. Although with Bonjour's explanation of the cervical collar, I like the fact that it can keep the airway open along with keep the mouth closed. I'm doing some reading about these collars. Bonjour... I have tried Biotene in the past and it really didn't do much for my dry mouth. I've now slept 3 consecutive nights straight thru till morning without awaking for a bathroom run as a result of the tape. I'll continue this for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to be clear, the cervical collar will keep your neck aligned, your jaw closed and prevent your chin tucking in (potentially from using an overly deep and soft pillow.) In and of itself it will not help to prevent your airway collapsing from an obstructive or central apnea which would be from physiological causes. Cervical collars in and of themselves without a CPAP or APAP machine would not be sufficient to keep the airway open for someone that has sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use 3M micropore tape to plug mouth leaks for higher pressure (10cm or so) CPAP therapy. Waking up with an completely dry mouth is really bad feeling, alternatively if I don't wake up the leak is usually larger enough so that therapy is not effective. I have found mouth taping to be a very convenient and effective solution to the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the topic is on mouth taping.

1" width 3M micropore tape because it's hypoallergenic, leaves little or no residue, gentle to the skin, latex-free & #1 hospital brand - so it says on the box.  

Basically to stop leaks via lips, can't really keep the mouth closed if it wants to open,  not unless one uses massive amounts to strap or tape round the whole chin. What length to use? Half inch to the whole width of the mouth. Make wings by folding over at the ends for easy removal. Seems those who use it do this.

Guess each person is different. Some need the 2" width version of the tape. If one has a beard, might just need to tape from cheek to cheek, but it's going to be interesting removing it each morning - haven't been there yet.

If one drinks or take sleeping/drowsy meds, don't use the tape.

Chin strap may pull the chin inwards, narrowing the airway and increasing AHI. Interferes with the rest of the mask straps.

FFM may increase aerophagia.

Collar doesn't quite seal the lips and air still leaks out.

Can't master the tongue to palate trick. 

Lots of options - different ones work for different folks.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 54 2 hours ago
Last Post: Narcil
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 21 728 9 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,342 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 164 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 929 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 135 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 175 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.