Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Taping
Mouth Taping
Up until a few nights ago I’ve been using Somnifix and haven’t had a constant issues but now I’ve discovered that the air is blowing straight through them. Not through the small opening in the glued area, because I purposely put that over my lip since air was constantly blowing through no matter how tightly I pursed and curled my lips in when I first used them. It’s blowing through in between there and the far corner right through the glue. Anyone else experience this? Could it be just I’ve come across a few with spotty glue applications. I’m thinking I should try nexcare sensitive skin tape and see what happens with that. 

I’m trying desperately to find a solution because pillow/ nasal masks knock my flow limitations down to almost nothing and keep my pressure between 11 and 14 every session. Where as with full face masks according to OSCAR’s FL chart they resemble small mountain peaks like Bob Ross used to paint. Not really but just to give you a visual. With the pressure always climbing to 18 and 20 because of them combined with added events, OSA and hypopneas with constant pressure fluctuations. 

Sorry about the detailed explanation over a tape issue lol. I tend to be passionate with things that are important to me.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Taping
Somnifix didn't work for me, adhesive too weak. I use the nexcare tape you mentioned and it works great.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 01:43 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Somnifix didn't work for me, adhesive too weak. I use the nexcare tape you mentioned and it works great.
Excellent, definitely grabbing some after work. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
No experience with somnifix, but I have used NexCare since Day 1.  It can be spotty as well, but usually it's something in the natural variation from night-to-night in how long it is, how it's applied, and the particular batches of the tape sold by 3M.

I keep one mostly-used spool beside me the night stand.  There have been times the tape I'm wearing has begun to leak, often due to spittle getting under the portions adhered to my lips.  The older tape is MUCH more adhesive, and there's just no way it isn't going to work for the rest of the night.  The newest spools dating back about a year now have had less sticky adhesive.

The trick, I have found, is to use your finger tips to firmly press the newly placed tape across its entire surface.  Several times.  That seems to fix it in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mesanteria, thank you. I grabbed some after work today and gave it a test run when I got home using mask fit and I’m almost positive as long as the tape goes about 1 1/2” past the corners of my mouth I think I’ll be good to go. The trick for me is using 2 pieces overlapped about 1/4”. I’m about to put it to the real test in a few mins so I’ll know it worked if I don’t wake up constantly from air leaks tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
Osiris, I used to think that the tape had to extend well past the corners of the mouth, and offered that tip several times over the past couple of years.  Then, on a whim, I tried a smaller piece about three weeks ago and applied it, centered.  Again, well and firmly pressed onto my skin surface.  This is about 2 full inches, no more, and there's a folded-over small tab for gripping and quick removal on one end.  I am happy to say that it actually works, and nobody is more surprised than I.   However, as you know and understand, this is an intensely personal experience, and one has to have confidence in one's routine and in one's therapy.  You should do what makes you feel secure, what helps you to get the best quality sleep, and what actually seems to work...reliably.  It was from this standpoint that I felt I could afford to experiment one night and try something different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2019, 01:46 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Osiris, I used to think that the tape had to extend well past the corners of the mouth, and offered that tip several times over the past couple of years.  Then, on a whim, I tried a smaller piece about three weeks ago and applied it, centered.  Again, well and firmly pressed onto my skin surface.  This is about 2 full inches, no more, and there's a folded-over small tab for gripping and quick removal on one end.  I am happy to say that it actually works, and nobody is more surprised than I.   However, as you know and understand, this is an intensely personal experience, and one has to have confidence in one's routine and in one's therapy.  You should do what makes you feel secure, what helps you to get the best quality sleep, and what actually seems to work...reliably.  It was from this standpoint that I felt I could afford to experiment one night and try something different.
At the corners of my mouth it dips in quite a bit and if I don’t go past it up comes the edge. Thank you though. I had good luck last night with the nexcare tape. With only one incident. The 2 pieces of tape came undone and I had tape on my bottom lip and tape on my top lip and the air was pouring out. So I put one long one across my mouth and two others, one on top and one on the bottom but much smaller. That worked perfect just the usual tiny little lines from the pillows shifting now and then from then till I woke up. It might sound like a lot of tape but it wasn’t uncomfortable at all. After a few I didn’t even realize it was there anymore. I’m glad this tape works and am able to continue using my pillows instead of full face. Even with the F30 I still get the higher flow limitations with it and the pressure goes higher and higher. With pillows I only had one night so far go higher than 14.5 and that was a chin tucking issue I think since I had tightly bunched obstructives. Anyway I appreciate the tip. I’m gonna slowly use smaller and smaller pieces till I find the happy spot
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the same way I do it.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2019, 02:42 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: That's the same way I do it.

Btw it’s supposed to say leak chart where I talk about tiny little lines when pillows shift
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2019, 02:42 PM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: That's the same way I do it.

?? Btw it’s supposed to say leak chart where I talk about tiny little lines here and there
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.