Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Taping
RE: Mouth Taping
(12-07-2019, 05:32 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 01:33 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: I’m trying desperately to find a solution because pillow/ nasal masks knock my flow limitations down to almost nothing and keep my pressure between 11 and 14 every session.

That's so weird. Have you duplicated this effect recently?

The advantage to a FFM is that has an anti asphyxiation valve. Plus, it addresses the problem rather than trying to compensate for it, the problem being of course that for some of us the airway is open to the atmosphere through the opening that forms our mouth.

I get that effect every time I use pillows. I realized it by chance. My mouth tape kept coming off so I went back to my F30 and I got a FL’s consistently through the night. So I decided to keep giving mouth taping a chance because I felt better using pillows even with the mouth leaks and for the most part the FL’s went away. In the daily charts not zoomed I just had about  5 or 6 little lines up to about .25. Very short lived. Only about 5 or 10 secs long a piece. So since the tape didn’t stay on again I went back to the F30 and here come the fl’s again. Going up and down from .20 to as high as .60. Going up and down in that range for 10 to 20 mins at a time. It varies how long they last and how often it happens but it does happen every time I go to full face. With one exception last night I had a 20 sec FL that rose to 60 at its highest with pillows. 

I’ve read a few articles and watch a few videos explaining how and why nose breathing is far better for you if you’re asleep or not. If you tuck your chin with your mouth closed there is barely any restriction in breathing. The same cannot be said of mouth breathing. Try it. Breathing is very labored with your mouth open just a crack. Close your mouth and breathing though your nose becomes almost effortless. I think that’s what’s happening in my case. I’d have to record myself sleeping to be sure though
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2019, 06:20 PM)wesozzzz Wrote: Orisis, I have been following your taping journey with interest. My experience ,during my trial I could only wear a nasal mask if my lips were securely taped otherwise I felt like a bugler with the air pouring through my lips. I went to a Simplus FF mask which worked ok , good AHI and minimal leaks but high mask pressures around 19.8 resulting bad aerophagia with stomach cramps, acid reflux and bloating,  Tried F30 mask, pressure has dropped to under 15 and minimal gas problem. But F30 puckers my lips and I get air flow through my lips, results for AHI ok but lips sore and dry. I tried 3M Micropore to hold my lips closed but it is difficult to remove  also with concerns over asphyxiation if the machine stopped.
Then read on a AB thread about blue painters tape. This has worked well, so far no irritation, I can lick the tape off and the adhesive not that sticky that stops me from parting my lips/jaw in an emergency. I use one inch width and tape length of about  inch and a quarter.  At the edges of my mouth I can blow out any gas bubbles.

Its a personal journey but experiences shared from others makes it an easier path.
Have a good journey.

I’ve switched to nexcare sensitive skin tape. One long one across my lips and two smaller, one on top and one on the bottom. Works well. You have a good journey as well wesozzzz
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2019, 10:43 AM)Osiris357 Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 10:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 09:45 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: Lol that was supposed to say tiny little lines on my leak chart...”leak chart” didn’t end up being typed apparently  Oh-jeez

No problem, I'll happy little Coffee your happy tiny little lines leak rate, still hoping you find success
Coffee is a must isn’t it?! And thanks I’ll get rid of those centrals permanently one way or another eventually. Today for example only 3 centrals that weren’t real and I feel great today. Everything is nice and calm I’m awake and coherent. It’s amazing! I haven’t welded except for those few other days recently in my 20 year career where I wasn’t jittery to some extent. This really is amazing. Finally found the answer to why I’ve been dealing with anxiety for years. AWESOME!  It’s from my body and brain being stressed while I sleep. WOW!!!

Wow! your answer has made me think!
I'll download my SD card when I get home tonight. 
I woke up jittery and anxious. I was blaming it on work.  lots-o-coffee
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 08:36 AM)DaveL Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 10:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: No problem, I'll happy little Coffee your happy tiny little lines leak rate, still hoping you find success
Coffee is a must isn’t it?! And thanks I’ll get rid of those centrals permanently one way or another eventually. Today for example only 3 centrals that weren’t real and I feel great today. Everything is nice and calm I’m awake and coherent. It’s amazing! I haven’t welded except for those few other days recently in my 20 year career where I wasn’t jittery to some extent. This really is amazing. Finally found the answer to why I’ve been dealing with anxiety for years. AWESOME!  It’s from my body and brain being stressed while I sleep. WOW!!!

Yup, zero centrals last night with a couple obstructives and hypopneas and I feel completely calm. I backed off my pressure by 3cm and that seems to have calmed everything down. Bringing it up to 2cm below 95% was too much I think. My exhale is a bit flow limited because I need EPR 3 so now I’m just gonna creep the pressure back up till I hit the sweet spot of near zero centrals and near zero flow limitations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Congratulations!
My treatment became more effective after I started asking questions here. and using OSCAR
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 02:01 PM)DaveL Wrote: Thanks!
Congratulations!
My treatment became more effective after I started asking questions here. and using OSCAR

No problem and thank you. Same here! I started APAP at the end of September and was still miserable for the most part until I found this forum in November.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 02:21 PM)Osiris357 Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 02:01 PM)DaveL Wrote: Thanks!
Congratulations!

No problem and thank you. Same here! I started APAP at the end of September and was still miserable for the most part until I found this forum in November.

Congratulations! Your path is much better than mine.  I was diagnosed over 30 years ago. This forum has made so much difference for me.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 08:36 AM)DaveL Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 10:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: No problem, I'll happy little Coffee your happy tiny little lines leak rate, still hoping you find success

OK you can blame Dave for that but not Sparky.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"I get by with a little help from my friends!"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_a_Lit...My_Friends)

Everyone here helps so much. My dog is concerned that I get up to pee in the night. She sits there. "She says, What's up? Can't we train you to sleep through the night?" Sounds like a conversation I had with her when she was a pup. But I'm not a pup anymore...Then getting back to sleep ain't no fun.

I'll be back to mouth taping tonight. Assorted straps around my neck are causing me grief on the back of the neck. Mouth breathing. Let's see. What else can I try? (no full face masks don't work for me. I'm claustrophobic.)

So this thread about mouthbreathing and taping is really helpful.

OSCAR
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Beat the Apnea into submission however you're successful Dave. Best to ya sir. Are you planning on keeping the winter weather there this year? You don't need to share.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.