Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth breather?
RE: Mouth breather?
Sandra, I didn't like chinstraps but had problems with mouth breathing. I have fabricated a chin pad that rests between my chin and chest. you can use most anything, a couple of wash cloths rolled up to the right thickness. I am now using a Kool-Band that is made to keep your head cooled. My wife took out the freezer cubes and stuffed full of uncooked rice. The ends, I can tie around my neck or tuck inside my Tshirt to keep the pad in place. It helps keep my mouth shut so I can use nasal pillows instead of full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sandra.

I don't know how true this is but I had a nurse that deals with Sleep Apnea tell me a few weeks ago that she finds it quite difficult to find a FF mask for woman that doesn't leak. That woman's faces are far more angular then mens and for the design of the FF masks. I know I tried almost 15 of them and they all had leakage and I do have an angular face.

I say that for i as a mouth breather am about to try the nasal pillows and chin strap as well but the first night at home when I used my machine and my FF, I forgot to turn the humidifier on in the machine and woke up with the worst cotton mouth ever, as well as cold teeth and the tip of my nose was cold.

When using the mask and the nurse has set it up properly, none of that happened so it sounds to me as if you are not possibly turning on the humidifier?
Is this possible, people? I know it happened with me.................?

I am just curious as to which machine you have, since I see you are in Eastern Ontario.
I see that you say you have a S9 but do you know which model?

The Auto-Set, Elite or the Escape?
And I assume a health plan of some sort paid for it all?

( I am just trying to get a feel for which machines people in Ontario usually end up with)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 09:02 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: ( I am just trying to get a feel for which machines people in Ontario usually end up with)

Depending on the "licensed Vendor" from the government, generally they will try and sell you an S9 Escape or the Paykal Fisher Novo (no data on both). I called about 8 different places from this government approved list:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/progr...ipment.pdf

Medigas was the only one that would sell me the s9 elite with the Assisted Devices Program. I could go on and on about how vendors straight out lied about how the s9 escape is the only machine covered by the government under the ADP program, but it's not true. They get a set amount of money no matter what device you get (Auto, Elite or Escape) they are just told that's all they can sell to maximize profits.

I go to Medigas, but I would not recommend them. Even getting an Resmed s9 Auto Set I have to go back to my doctor and get him to specifically put the Auto Set on the prescription or else they won't sell it to me.

Anyways, your experience may vary...

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 02:15 PM)zonk Wrote: I assume you mean humidity level setting is 3.5 (not pressure setting)

You might find the answer of your problem right here .. The Mouth Leak Cycle
Read more http://www.resmed.com/us/patients_and_fa...cycle.html

Thanks for the link Zonk. I found that very interesting. I am not a mouth breather but with the VPAP I am a mouth leaker.

By the way do you have the whole ResMed web site memorized??

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2014, 12:12 PM)PaytonA Wrote: By the way do you have the whole ResMed web site memorized??

Best Regards,

PaytonA
I cannot remember what had yesterday for dinner
Like everything else repetitive, do it often and becomes second nature Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2014, 09:02 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Hi Sandra.

I say that for i as a mouth breather am about to try the nasal pillows and chin strap as well but the first night at home when I used my machine and my FF, I forgot to turn the humidifier on in the machine and woke up with the worst cotton mouth ever, as well as cold teeth and the tip of my nose was cold.

I did two nights with the Quattro Air and went back to my nasal pillows. I get the best sleep with them. The respiration therapist at Medigas suggested that instead of the chinstrap I try a tensor bandage and that worked really well for me last night, no waking up with cotton mouth and a cold nose
!

When using the mask and the nurse has set it up properly, none of that happened so it sounds to me as if you are not possibly turning on the humidifier?
Is this possible, people? I know it happened with me.................?

Hmmm I didn't know you had to 'turn on' the humidifier but the light is on so I assumed that the humidifier was on. Where do you turn it on?

I am just curious as to which machine you have, since I see you are in Eastern Ontario.
I see that you say you have a S9 but do you know which model?

The Auto-Set, Elite or the Escape?
And I assume a health plan of some sort paid for it all?

It is the AutoSet. I don't have my own machine yet. Still have a loaner through Medigas but yes OHIP pays 75% and the rest is covered by my self paid health plan through ManuLife although I'm sure my rates will go up!

( I am just trying to get a feel for which machines people in Ontario usually end up with)

I wasn't given a choice of machine but this one seems to work well.

I go to Medigas, but I would not recommend them. Even getting an Resmed s9 Auto Set I have to go back to my doctor and get him to specifically put the Auto Set on the prescription or else they won't sell it to me.

Medigas appears to be the only 'approved' place to buy CPAP units according to the government. I'm ok with them. My respiration therapist there seems to know what he's talking about.

It would be nice to be able to use the company that is local though so I don't have to hike it to Ottawa every couple of weeks!

Anyways, your experience may vary...
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 08:06 AM)Sandra_ON Wrote: Medigas appears to be the only 'approved' place to buy CPAP units according to the government

No, not true at all. There are at least 14 government registered Vendors in Ottawa alone taking a quick look at the list I linked to above. Check out that list, that is a list made by the government because each vendor would LOVE for you to believe they are the only place in town.

Not that I have anything against Medigas, they are "OK". Being the biggest Vendor in Canada they have MANY stores so I am sure each one varies to the quality of the employees there.

(02-22-2014, 08:06 AM)Sandra_ON Wrote: It is the AutoSet. I don't have my own machine yet. Still have a loaner through Medigas but yes OHIP pays 75%

It's actually a huge misnomer that the Ontario Health Insurance plan (OHIP) pays for the cpap machine. This might be splitting hairs as I guess technically it can all be over the "government" moniker but all Cpap machines are funded by the Assisted Devices Program by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, which is a different government program and branch than OHIP. Most people don't even realize as the vendor does all the paper work and just gets you to sign it. In Ontario ADP pays either 75 percent or 100 percent for all respiratory machines depending on your income. Here is the link: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/adp/

Cheers,

Post Reply Post Reply

No, not true at all. There are at least 14 government registered Vendors in Ottawa alone taking a quick look at the list I linked to above. Check out that list, that is a list made by the government because each vendor would LOVE for you to believe they are the only place in town.

I had my sleep test done at the Queensway Carleton Hospital in Ottawa and Medigas was the only vendor on the list that they gave me. So, of course, being the little sheep that I am, I went to Medigas!

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2014, 08:47 AM)Sandra_ON Wrote: I had my sleep test done at the Queensway Carleton Hospital in Ottawa and Medigas was the only vendor on the list that they gave me. So, of course, being the little sheep that I am, I went to Medigas!

Yes, it's a HUGE trend I am finding in Ontario, that certain Doctor's offices want people to believe the only vendor they can go to is the one they tell you to. Same thing happen to me. Five minutes after I was diagnosed the Doctor had me in the vendor's sales office (conveniently located across the hall) trying to sell me the cheapest and highest profit machine and mask for them. I will say though, out of all the places I called, Medigas was one of only a few that would consider an Elite or Autoset. The rest just wanted to sell Escapes and P&K Novos (Non Data Machines). So it really helps to call around in Ontario.

Here is a link to the web page and not the PDF, just so you know it's a government source (Vendors for Cpap are under Respiratory equipment):

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/progr...ndors.aspx

You can go to ANY of these vendors and be covered by the ADP program. Of course, if you want to pay 100 percent on your own, you can go anywhere in the world Smile

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 493 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.