Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth breathers/me too/harm/special tape/causes/correct/mitigate-no chin strap
Mouth breathers/me too/harm/special tape/causes/correct/mitigate-no chin strap
The main point here: see  Mouth Breathing Causes, Treatments And Consequences - Buteyko Clinic and the link to that clinic below the article title.

First of all, I'm convinced that it is only those mask users who truly cannot ventilate through the nose who must mouthbreathe. It can be stopped by other mouth breathers; we have to adapt to whatever means are necessary. My successful measures are too onerous for many persons to accept unless they are desperate.  Breaking away from FFM was not that hard. Every improvement I made took at most a few nights to adapt. Stents, a bovine valve and a pacemaker were persuasive. I attach a pic showing (hidden, covered) use of (click) Gel-e-Roll-seal (by Silipos) and its elastic DIY retainer as well as a vest mounted supinity block (a vest-knapsack holding two nested boxes, which I only lately found was not necessary, the benefits of a--now--4" cervical collar). I needed firm pressure against the clinging (but not sticking) seal so I used the elastic top from a worn out compression stocking and velcro to make a retainer. Others may get by with less, like a (click) Scunci

For too long I believed I had to use a FFM because of mouthbreathing and a mouth that gaped open supine and with lips that fluttered in CPAP sleep. At least with a FFM mask, that driest--skinned lizard that used to crawl into my mouth could not get in with my mask mounted. I  tried a whole variety of chin straps, tapes, etc., but was driven by sleepless frustration with leaks and noises of several FFMs and hybrids to find a way to use nasal pillows, the P-10 for a few years now--with a cervical collar I was slow to adopt. 

Now, LL is rare and L is mostly well below 10 L/min--no more awakenings to mask noises and loss of therapy. The P-10 relies on both minimal skin to pillows contact and, with the exception of the "bleep", I believe it has  least need to bridge over contour variations of nose and face. This sidesleeper has no complaint; a large head spares me those strap loosening problems which, most crudely, even one scissors snip and a staple will fix if shrinkage after washing does not.

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth breathers/me too/harm/special tape/causes/correct/mitigate-no chin strap
People that are mouth-breathers in general have forgotten how to breathe through the nose. It is very common. Due to having OSA untreated for so long the body uses any means necessary to keep you alive. Hence mouth breathing. It usually can take up to 6 weeks or more to retrain your body to breathe through the nose.

Mouth exercises
https://youtu.be/wNscQ3bGxNk

Nose retraining
https://youtu.be/iB9BRJbEvVg
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth breathers/me too/harm/special tape/causes/correct/mitigate-no chin strap
@factor

Brent I only learned how to mouth breath about 5? years ago. (edit: sitting here wide awake 10:30 a.m. and mouth breathing as I type. No cpap running....)

The previous 30 years or so I was fine. I've been compliant for about 35 years or so....

Meantime I have a bunch of collections
*carefully chosen devices that never worked.
* devices that worked for a while
* headgear and such that's worn out, but I never know when I might need them.

I currently use either of these two devices
* a pad I made up myself that's very comfortable, but goes from working beautifully to not-being-worth-a-c*ap overnight
* Knightsbridge Dual Band. I have 2. My scalp itches like crazy after I've used it. I bought 2 of them about 16 months ago, so I have a spare.

Frankly I'm reaching the w-t-* phase. I do all these things and treatment is awful.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.