Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth breathing and FFM
Mouth breathing and FFM
Just curious....

If a person wears an FFM, can the lower jaw move around a bit? Or does that make the mask leaky?

I'm trying to create a short list of masks for someone who has TMJ. It would be optimal for me that a mask doesn't jam my jaws together. It helps if I can relax my jaws to prevent this from happening. Am I right in thinking I should look first at FFM's? For a nasal mask I'm going to have to do whatever it takes to keep my jaws closed?

Input would be great.

I feel I have to narrow down some mask choices, otherwise there'll be a sea of possibilities when I go to the DME for mask fitting. I also have to worry about headgear sitting on the jaw joint, since this will be instant bruxism.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth breathing and FFM
i can easily leak out of the corners of my mouth
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that all FFM's would put some pressure on your jaw. Nasal mask or Nasal pillows would probably be better. You could also use a cervical collar to help keep your mouth closed without creating pressure on it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
No FFM should be pushing so hard on the chin that it irritate TMJ conditions. There are exceptions, such as the ones with the built in chin cup/strap. If the FFM is pushing against the chin that hard, it isn't the write mask for that person because they're having to wear it too tight.

I would recommend an FFM over a chin strap any day. The FFM allows for more movement and more comfort. It is designed for mouth breathers not because it holds the mouth shut, but it covers the mouth, eliminating mouth leaks even though the mouth can still open. The chin strap's job is to pull the chin up and back, dropping the back of the jaw. I hated chin straps for this reason. That and the heat.

I use the Simplus at times. I had less temple-related headaches while wearing it than I do without it. Mainly because it helps keep my lower jaw aligned. Without my top teeth, my lower jaw has shifted forward. I may go back to the Simplus just to line up my jaw before I finally get the teeth replaced.

And I disagree about the cervical collars being good for TMJ conditions. Unless you place the jaw in exactly the right position, the collar is going to be pushing it into the wrong position. Any slip of the jaw will dislodge it from the right position and the collar is not going to help get it back into place. Same issue as chin straps.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If worn right the cervical collar won't push the jaw. It sits right below the jaw which just gently restricts the jaw from opening. It's not suppose to push the jaw at all.

Nasal pillows don't touch the jaw at all. Full face masks do.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I can see this is going to be quite a challenge.

I have a cervical collar from a prior injury, so I do have a head start on that option.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of points.

First read the Mask Primer.  (In my signature)

A cervical collar should be worn loosely when used for Apnea issues.

I sleep with my jaw open but my lips closed and use nasal pillows as my everyday mask.

Mask trial strategy should go from least intrusive (pillows) to most intrusive (full face) 

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,150 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.