Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth breathing vs AHI
Mouth breathing vs AHI
Hello all. Long time lurker, first thread etc etc... Thanks for all the info you gals n guys provide - amazing.

I am a mouth breather (currently trying to correct this) . My question - if i am using my CPAP and air is rushing out my mouth, how does this effect my AHI? I'd love a simple and then technical answer if poss. i think i understand, but need a bit more re-assurance from some knowledgeable people. 

For context. I have been using a chin strap which is great, but i find it really pulls on my jaw no matter how tight or loose it is. I also experience lip flutter (or mouth farts i call it). So have also been using a SCC as you guys have recommended trying. Also mouth taping but that makes me crazy anxious and tense and really doesn't work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth breathing vs AHI
With a large leak, the CPAP machine cannot maintain air pressure, but you get to enjoy the wind from flow. It is pressure that treats our apnea, so it's really bad for therapy.

The machine depends on a good connection to your airway to judge your respiratory flow and to detect apnea, flow limits, snores etc. When the positive pressure circuit is leak-free, the machine can sense all of that. When large leaks are present, it's like trying to fish with a slack line. Good luck!

Download the free OSCAR program. You will get a much better idea of what is going on. Without leaks you will see the respiratory flow graphs in good resolution. When a leaks happens. the respiratory flow seems to fade, and eventually you can see the machine lose control.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2021, 10:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With a large leak, the CPAP machine cannot maintain air pressure, but you get to enjoy the wind from flow.  It is pressure that treats our apnea, so it's really bad for therapy.

The machine depends on a good connection to your airway to judge your respiratory flow and to detect apnea, flow limits, snores etc.  When the positive pressure circuit is leak-free, the machine can sense all of that.  When large leaks are present, it's like trying to fish with a slack line.  Good luck!

Download the free OSCAR program.  You will get a much better idea of what is going on.  Without leaks you will see the respiratory flow graphs in  good resolution. When a leaks happens. the respiratory flow seems to fade, and eventually you can see the machine lose control.

Now that makes perfect sense. Thankyou. 

I have been using just the SCC the last couple of nights and have an average AHI of 2-3. But am still getting a bit of mouth leakage - nothing like it was with an open mouth tho! So just weighing up whether i try a full face mask or stick with the method i'm using. I have zero leak and a way better AHI than i did have. 

I have downloaded OSCAR. If i wait a week to get some solid data - does OSCAR read back that far - or does it need to be done daily?
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR reads detailed data for every night the SD card is in the machine. Years worth. But the card must be in the machine overnight, you cannot put the card in in the morning and get data for the previous night.

Read the Mask Primer in my signature, especially the section on mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
What would I do without you lovely people?

Thanks for the OSCAR info. And thanks for the links. I'll have a read and make some adjustments.

I'll upload some Oscar data here when I have a larger data range to look at. Will ask for some advice then if that's ok? Thankyou again !
Post Reply Post Reply
1 night data is enough to look at, post when you have that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2021, 06:18 AM)Captain Howdy Wrote: What would I do without you lovely people?

Thanks for the OSCAR info. And thanks for the links. I'll have a read and make some adjustments.

I'll upload some Oscar data here when I have a larger data range to look at. Will ask for some advice then if that's ok? Thankyou again !

I'm following your thread as you're following mine....it seems we're in the same apnea boat.

farting lips indeed, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2021, 10:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With a large leak, the CPAP machine cannot maintain air pressure, but you get to enjoy the wind from flow.  It is pressure that treats our apnea, so it's really bad for therapy.

The machine depends on a good connection to your airway to judge your respiratory flow and to detect apnea, flow limits, snores etc.  When the positive pressure circuit is leak-free, the machine can sense all of that.  When large leaks are present, it's like trying to fish with a slack line.  Good luck!

Download the free OSCAR program.  You will get a much better idea of what is going on.  Without leaks you will see the respiratory flow graphs in  good resolution. When a leaks happens. the respiratory flow seems to fade, and eventually you can see the machine lose control.

Would I be right in saying, if I had mouth leakage issues my AHI count would be higher? I'm still averaging 3 at the moment (just woke up on this side of the planet). 

I'll upload some Oscar data this eve after work. That will make it a bit easier to see what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
The answers are in Oscar. Let's look at the charts, then there will be no need to guess.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to quickly jump on this persons thread.. I get the nasal pillow tomorrow and ordered a cervical collar. For the first night, I can try w/out the collar just to see how my mouth breathing is, right? Then I can see w/ OSCAR if the leaks are apparent in the data and determine whether I need to incorporate the cervical collar?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,155 4 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.