Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth breathing vs AHI
RE: Mouth breathing vs AHI
(02-11-2021, 07:00 PM)freddieku Wrote: Just to quickly jump on this persons thread.. I get the nasal pillow tomorrow and ordered a cervical collar. For the first night, I can try w/out the collar just to see how my mouth breathing is, right? Then I can see w/ OSCAR if the leaks are apparent in the data and determine whether I need to incorporate the cervical collar?

Hey! Get ya own thread! 

Jks ... All good. That's pretty much what I've done.  After using the collar, my dry mouth has all but gone and my AHI is around 2-3. I think there is still a bit of mouth leak, but nothing like it was. When I get home from work, I'll fire up Oscar and post some pics and hopefully get a better run down of what is happening. 

Good luck and report back
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there any reason why you're not using a full-face mask? they're not everybody's cup of tea, but they ensure good therapy even when breathing through your mouth.

I am a mouth breather but can't use tape etc because I struggle to breath through my nose thanks to unhelpful sinuses. I consequently use a FF mask.

There is a learning curve, as with all things, but perseverance paid off for me. That said, I have so far found only one mask that suits me and that model has been discontinued. I have to scour eBay, Amazon etc to find replacement parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2021, 08:20 PM)StevesSp Wrote: Is there any reason why you're not using a full-face mask? they're not everybody's cup of tea, but they ensure good therapy even when breathing through your mouth.

I am a mouth breather but can't use tape etc because I struggle to breath through my nose thanks to unhelpful sinuses. I consequently use a FF mask.

There is a learning curve, as with all things, but perseverance paid off for me. That said, I have so far found only one mask that suits me and that model has been discontinued. I have to scour eBay, Amazon etc to find replacement parts.

That will be the next step. I'm just giving each variation at least a couple of weeks. The nasal mask I'm using is great. Comfy.  No leaks. But if the mouth leak isn't solved or bought within an acceptable level, Then I'll move to FF.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=29885 Wrote:Sleeprider pid='383719' dateline='1613086635']The answers are in Oscar. Let's look at the charts, then there will be no need to guess.

Alrighty then. Have set up my OSCAR profile and followed instructions. Love you to have a look and give me some advice and tips please! Let me know if the settings need tweaking. Thankyou  Coffee

sorry i couldn't work out the making the thumbnail bit into a full size image. Will keep playing 

[attachment=29885]
Post Reply Post Reply
Events are nearly all hypopnea. Given you have a fixed pressure Philips CPAP, the only option is an increase in pressure. Try pressure at 11.0. The CA events appear random as sleep transitions, movement or in other words a non-issue, especially since they are mainly after the morning therapy break. You are using CFlex and if it is at 3, I would suggest you try 2. Results look pretty good, and Philips tends to flag more hypopnea than the Resmed machine. I don't see much here to be concerned about with low leak rates and relatively low event rates.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2021, 09:15 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Events are nearly all hypopnea. Given you have a fixed pressure Philips CPAP, the only option is an increase in pressure.  Try pressure at 11.0. The CA events appear random as sleep transitions, movement or in other words a non-issue, especially since they are mainly after the morning therapy break.  You are using CFlex and if it is at 3, I would suggest you try 2.  Results look pretty good, and Philips tends to flag more hypopnea than the Resmed machine. I don't see much here to be concerned about with low leak rates and relatively low event rates.

Brilliant. Thankyou for your time. I'll look at those changes now.

The only thing that concerned me was under statistics  was "total leaks" and "time over leak redline" . Assume that's ok?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is excessive. The median 52 total and 21 (estimated excess leak) is way too high. We just don't have the resolution in the data to know the extent to which this leak rate affects therapy, or why it is consistently high. If you limit the leak rate y-axis in Oscar to 0 to 80 L/min that is going to really help. You can right click near the title of Leak Rate and a context menu will open where you can set the minimum and maximum value for leaks. Right now, the maximum is being set by the mask-off event at 03:40, and that is obscuring everything else.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2021, 09:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your leak rate is excessive. The median 52 total and 21 (estimated excess leak) is way too high. We just don't have the resolution in the data to know the extent to which this leak rate affects therapy, or why it is consistently high.  If you limit the leak rate y-axis in Oscar to 0 to 80 L/min that is going to really help. You can right click near the title of Leak Rate and a context menu will open where you can set the minimum and maximum value for leaks.  Right now, the maximum is being set by the mask-off event at 03:40, and that is obscuring everything else.

ok. have done what you suggested. here's a screenshot. TIA!

[attachment=29915]
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=29951]

thats last nights for reference
Post Reply Post Reply
To be honest, considering your excessive leakage the data provided by the machine are rather worthless (as your therapy at the moment).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,064 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.