Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Go life
Humidifier: REMstar
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed
Mouth leak & Apnea
Once in a great while I wake up with a dry mouth because I've been sleeping with my mouth open. Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak? Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out. What I don't know is if this is a once in a while event or it happens more often but I don't know because I don't wake up.
12-10-2012 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

RE: Mouth leak & Apnea
While I don't know the effects of sleeping with your mouth open has on the data, I would suggest you get a chin strap to keep it closed. It really does not make make much sense to forced in your nose and then have it leave your mouth.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-10-2012 11:25 AM
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

Welcome, DCwom--My understanding is that the machine does detect apnea events whether or not your mouth is open. The problem is that the machine's accuracy is compromised when excessive leakage is present. This is the case with a ResMed machine, but I don't know why it would not also be the case with any brand. Have you considered using a chin strap to encourage your brain to keep your mouth closed? In addition, you could make sure you are properly understanding your machine's leak data to know what is considered acceptable (intentional) and what is not acceptable leakage with your machine. I'm sure others with your machine here on the board can help with that.
12-10-2012 12:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi DCwom,
You could try a chinstrap and see if that would help you.
Best of luck.

trish6hundred
12-10-2012 02:21 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(12-10-2012 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote:  Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak?
PRS1 shows total leak which made of intentional leak plus unintentional leak
unintentional leak = mask leak plus mouth leak
during large leak (mask or/and mouth leak) ... machine cannot determine apnea events with statistical accuracy
12-10-2012 04:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TheWerkz Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i & ClimateLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP 11 - 20

Other Comments:

(12-10-2012 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote:  Once in a great while I wake up with a dry mouth because I've been sleeping with my mouth open. Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak? Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out. What I don't know is if this is a once in a while event or it happens more often but I don't know because I don't wake up.

Your profile shows you're not using software.

If you're getting all your leak data directly from your machine then you're not getting enough of the available information to determine whether it's affecting your therapy or not, comparing the flow graph to the leak graph to the event graph is the best way to determine what's going on.

Do you have the SleepyHead software?

Ren
12-10-2012 06:13 PM
DCwom Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Go life
Humidifier: REMstar
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

(12-10-2012 06:13 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote:  Once in a great while I wake up with a dry mouth because I've been sleeping with my mouth open. Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak? Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out. What I don't know is if this is a once in a while event or it happens more often but I don't know because I don't wake up.

Your profile shows you're not using software.

If you're getting all your leak data directly from your machine then you're not getting enough of the available information to determine whether it's affecting your therapy or not, comparing the flow graph to the leak graph to the event graph is the best way to determine what's going on.

Do you have the SleepyHead software?

Ren
Ren,
Yes I have looked at my data with Sleephead, that's what got me to thinking about open mouth with the mask. I was trying correlate the data from the night before when I knew I was mouth breathing. Like I said, it is a rare event (that I know of) when I was mouth breathing so I'm just trying to see if I do it more often than I know of.
12-10-2012 09:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
pssnn Offline
Wiki Editor
Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 18

Other Comments: Quattro FX + Swift FX

Hi DCwom,

I have mouth leaking also. The chinstrap did not help me at all but a dental night guard does help me some.

One thing you could do is to get a pulse oximeter and wear it to make sure that you are not getting desaturations. With sleepyhead software the oximeter data can be imported and correlated with any desaturations. Actually the main reason I bought an oximeter was to see if I had any desaturation events that were not reported as apneas on my S9 autoset (as a consequence of mouth leaking).

"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
12-10-2012 10:44 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

If the leak is bad enough, it will probably affect your data, although your machine will still try to detect apneas.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
12-10-2012 10:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
genes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respronics Auto Cpap
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: Respronics
CPAP Pressure: 17 -20
CPAP Software: EncorePro

Other Comments:

If you sleep with your mouth open and breath in and out of your mouth your cpap is not working. If you need cpap you likely will be having apneas whether your machine figures it out or not. CPAP requires a positive airway pressure high enough to prevent your apneas. It is impossible even with cpap to breath in thru your mouth to your lungs unless your airway pressure is negative (below atmospheric). It is important to eliminate mouth breathing so that your cpap will work.
GeneS
12-11-2012 09:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 8 348 12-03-2016 02:17 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 484 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 228 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 277 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 748 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 356 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
  Leak rate abrun7 8 439 11-22-2016 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster