Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leak & Apnea
RE: Mouth leak & Apnea
Once I started using a chin restraint all my readings improved. I also am a mouth breather and the chin restraint stopped that.
Good Luck!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote: Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak?

I don't see how it could. The flow meter would not indicate zero flow during a mouth-leak,

Quote:Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out.

Your on-screen display indicates percent time spent in large leak, so if it's not zero that indicates that you've been mouth-leaking, or leaking somewhere.

Do you wear a chinstrap?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote: Ren,
Yes I have looked at my data with Sleephead, that's what got me to thinking about open mouth with the mask. I was trying correlate the data from the night before when I knew I was mouth breathing. Like I said, it is a rare event (that I know of) when I was mouth breathing so I'm just trying to see if I do it more often than I know of.

DCwom,

If anything is going to definitively tell you whether you were mouth breathing as opposed to through your nose using nasal cushions will be the Flow Rate.

Look at your normal breathing pattern while you're zoomed-out (default view), now see if you can find a section where the breathing gets very narrow and consequently the machine will probably register an apnea event.

If you look at your normal respiratory Flow Rate it may vary from -30 to +30 (just an example) and if it starts to flat-line at 0 for over 45 seconds or maybe for minutes, this should be an indicator that you're not breathing through CPAP and the machine should be registering apnea's during the same time-frame since you were breathing through your mouth and CPAP machines only think that if you're not breathing through the hose then you're having an apnea or you're dead. Unsure

There is a possibility that you inhaled through your nose and out through your mouth or your mouth just came open and dried-out while you continued to breath through normally through your nose.

I'm also assuming you're using your REMstar Auto in "Auto" mode and not straight CPAP mode, in either case though, the Flow Rate should definitely show if you're mouth breathing and also, the pressure would increase and stay at the upper Auto pressure setting until you started breathing normally through the hose.

Look at some other Flow Rate graph's from previous day's where you believe you were only breathing through your nose and you'll get a feel for what's normal for you, it typically varies throughout the 4 cycles of sleep from Alpha through REM and there's a 5th flow rate too that's usually the heaviest, look at when you first turn the machine on until you start drifting-off to sleep, it's normally much heavier for at least a few minutes.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.