Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Mouth leak & Apnea
Once I started using a chin restraint all my readings improved. I also am a mouth breather and the chin restraint stopped that.
Good Luck!
Sleep-well
12-11-2012 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(12-10-2012 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote:  Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak?

I don't see how it could. The flow meter would not indicate zero flow during a mouth-leak,

Quote:Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out.

Your on-screen display indicates percent time spent in large leak, so if it's not zero that indicates that you've been mouth-leaking, or leaking somewhere.

Do you wear a chinstrap?

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-11-2012 11:39 PM
TheWerkz Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i & ClimateLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto-CPAP 11 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(12-10-2012 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote:  Ren,
Yes I have looked at my data with Sleephead, that's what got me to thinking about open mouth with the mask. I was trying correlate the data from the night before when I knew I was mouth breathing. Like I said, it is a rare event (that I know of) when I was mouth breathing so I'm just trying to see if I do it more often than I know of.

DCwom,

If anything is going to definitively tell you whether you were mouth breathing as opposed to through your nose using nasal cushions will be the Flow Rate.

Look at your normal breathing pattern while you're zoomed-out (default view), now see if you can find a section where the breathing gets very narrow and consequently the machine will probably register an apnea event.

If you look at your normal respiratory Flow Rate it may vary from -30 to +30 (just an example) and if it starts to flat-line at 0 for over 45 seconds or maybe for minutes, this should be an indicator that you're not breathing through CPAP and the machine should be registering apnea's during the same time-frame since you were breathing through your mouth and CPAP machines only think that if you're not breathing through the hose then you're having an apnea or you're dead. Unsure

There is a possibility that you inhaled through your nose and out through your mouth or your mouth just came open and dried-out while you continued to breath through normally through your nose.

I'm also assuming you're using your REMstar Auto in "Auto" mode and not straight CPAP mode, in either case though, the Flow Rate should definitely show if you're mouth breathing and also, the pressure would increase and stay at the upper Auto pressure setting until you started breathing normally through the hose.

Look at some other Flow Rate graph's from previous day's where you believe you were only breathing through your nose and you'll get a feel for what's normal for you, it typically varies throughout the 4 cycles of sleep from Alpha through REM and there's a 5th flow rate too that's usually the heaviest, look at when you first turn the machine on until you start drifting-off to sleep, it's normally much heavier for at least a few minutes.

Ren
12-12-2012 12:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 463 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 7 287 11-29-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 216 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 240 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 728 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 346 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
  Leak rate abrun7 8 402 11-22-2016 09:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster