Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leak & Apnea
Mouth leak & Apnea
Once in a great while I wake up with a dry mouth because I've been sleeping with my mouth open. Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak? Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out. What I don't know is if this is a once in a while event or it happens more often but I don't know because I don't wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leak & Apnea
While I don't know the effects of sleeping with your mouth open has on the data, I would suggest you get a chin strap to keep it closed. It really does not make make much sense to forced in your nose and then have it leave your mouth.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, DCwom--My understanding is that the machine does detect apnea events whether or not your mouth is open. The problem is that the machine's accuracy is compromised when excessive leakage is present. This is the case with a ResMed machine, but I don't know why it would not also be the case with any brand. Have you considered using a chin strap to encourage your brain to keep your mouth closed? In addition, you could make sure you are properly understanding your machine's leak data to know what is considered acceptable (intentional) and what is not acceptable leakage with your machine. I'm sure others with your machine here on the board can help with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DCwom,
You could try a chinstrap and see if that would help you.
Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote: Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak?
PRS1 shows total leak which made of intentional leak plus unintentional leak
unintentional leak = mask leak plus mouth leak
during large leak (mask or/and mouth leak) ... machine cannot determine apnea events with statistical accuracy
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote: Once in a great while I wake up with a dry mouth because I've been sleeping with my mouth open. Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak? Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out. What I don't know is if this is a once in a while event or it happens more often but I don't know because I don't wake up.

Your profile shows you're not using software.

If you're getting all your leak data directly from your machine then you're not getting enough of the available information to determine whether it's affecting your therapy or not, comparing the flow graph to the leak graph to the event graph is the best way to determine what's going on.

Do you have the SleepyHead software?

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 06:13 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 11:14 AM)DCwom Wrote: Once in a great while I wake up with a dry mouth because I've been sleeping with my mouth open. Does anyone know if its possible for a CPAP/APAP to detect apneas when you have a mouth leak? Looking at the leak data I can't really tell, but when I wake up with a dry mouth and fast pulse its pretty easy to figure out. What I don't know is if this is a once in a while event or it happens more often but I don't know because I don't wake up.

Your profile shows you're not using software.

If you're getting all your leak data directly from your machine then you're not getting enough of the available information to determine whether it's affecting your therapy or not, comparing the flow graph to the leak graph to the event graph is the best way to determine what's going on.

Do you have the SleepyHead software?

Ren
Ren,
Yes I have looked at my data with Sleephead, that's what got me to thinking about open mouth with the mask. I was trying correlate the data from the night before when I knew I was mouth breathing. Like I said, it is a rare event (that I know of) when I was mouth breathing so I'm just trying to see if I do it more often than I know of.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi DCwom,

I have mouth leaking also. The chinstrap did not help me at all but a dental night guard does help me some.

One thing you could do is to get a pulse oximeter and wear it to make sure that you are not getting desaturations. With sleepyhead software the oximeter data can be imported and correlated with any desaturations. Actually the main reason I bought an oximeter was to see if I had any desaturation events that were not reported as apneas on my S9 autoset (as a consequence of mouth leaking).
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
If the leak is bad enough, it will probably affect your data, although your machine will still try to detect apneas.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

If you sleep with your mouth open and breath in and out of your mouth your cpap is not working. If you need cpap you likely will be having apneas whether your machine figures it out or not. CPAP requires a positive airway pressure high enough to prevent your apneas. It is impossible even with cpap to breath in thru your mouth to your lungs unless your airway pressure is negative (below atmospheric). It is important to eliminate mouth breathing so that your cpap will work.
GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 837 2 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 112 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 113 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 341 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 415 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 635 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.