Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leak and taping question
Mouth leak and taping question
Hi all,

I have couple of questions. Yesterday, I decided to not mouth tape and see if I feel any different. I would say I felt that my night in terms of sleep felt above average to great. My question is, would Oscar reliably show if I am having mouth leaks? Take a look at my Oscar, I see minimal leaks and potentially some mouth leaks but compared to previous charts it looks the same if not better in terms of leaks. So my question is, could Oscar miss if I have mouth leaks? And if it is not showing great leaks like this chart, is it a sign I don't need mouth taping? Is there a drawback to having mouth tape or going without it. 

Appreciate your thoughts around the matter ! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leak and taping question
Look at your Flow Rate graph. The pattern should be evenly distributed above and below the zero line. Mouth breathing will usually present with the lower portion of the graph being truncated. Look at 01:10. It needs expanding but seems to have that signature.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I zoomed in and attached. I am not seeing what you described but also not sure what you meant lower is truncated. Do you see it in this graph?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Truncated means that it isn't of the same magnitude as above the zero line. If you exhale through your mouth, the graph will not record what you breathed in. If you inhale at a rate of 40 L/min, then you should exhale at 40 L/min if you aren't mouth breathing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense, so based on 2 graphs doesn't look like I had mouth leaks correct? Should I continue to go without tape ? Or tape is still beneficial in general
Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever I switched to only a nasal pillow mask from either an FFM or mouth taping, I could go several days before I would start mouth breathing. Your mileage may vary on this.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 357 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 232 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.