Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leakage even with a chin strap
Mouth leakage even with a chin strap
I’ve been on CPAP therapy for about 6 months now.  I am getting good results using a nasal mask and a chin strap.  Ocasionally, I have a night where I have a lot of mouth leakage even with the chain strap.  Any ideas what might be the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leakage even with a chin strap
Scrutinize the leakage on your SleepyHead chart. You might find there's a reason for the leakage that would benefit from an adjustment.

Post a sample chart here and get some input.
Post Reply Post Reply
It can be difficult to deal with, I get a small amount of this as well unless I pull the chin strap very tight.
Trouble with chin straps is they are usually made of a slightly stretchy material and it does stretch enough to allow air to escape out of the mouth.
Even sometimes when your mouth remains shut, it can leak out past your lips.
I have heard of people taping their mouths shut, however, I wouldn't recommend you do this.
I believe there is a collar that can help hold you mouth shut now, but it might still escape from your lips.
12 is just the pressure it starts at!  My machine reached 12 last night and I woke up to air just coming into my mouth like a dripping hose with water!
So chin strap will be getting tightened tonight, if that does not work I will have to think of something else.  Though I think the problem I have is the chin strap slips slightly allowing a small amount of air into my mouth drying it, then the small amount gets a bit bigger.
Try sucking your tongue to the top of your mouth, works for some.  I keep one of those bottles of water by the bed with a pull out top where I can get a tiny sip of water without taking the Nasal Pillows off.  Sometimes when the chin strap slips it moves the headgear and the seal breaks, causing a leak, or it will drop the pressure just enough for my throat to close slightly, then air is forced out through my mouth and starts it off.
However, on a good might without a leak I get a 0.0 AHi on a night where air gets out through my mouth, I get a 0.1.

Sleepyhead might give you a clue as to when it is happening.  Then it might be clearer what course of action you need to take.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap was only marginally helpful for me.
A soft cervical collar took care of the problem AND does not leave marks on my face.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The normal ruby style chin strap didn't help me. I also tried a cervical collar I picked up from Walgreens and that didn't work either. Bought the PapCap and it works well. I'm not crazy about it, but usually don't have any leaks.

I'm going to try a full face mask next.
Post Reply Post Reply
The soft cervical collar did it for me. Many years of snoring and am sure also undiagnosed apnea resulted in mouth breathing. My initial FFM did not prevent me from mouth breathing causing aerophagia and severe discomfort. The leaks were massive as I flopped in REM sleep.

A change to pillows and a collar hugely reduced leaks preventing chin tuck and keeping my mouth closed. In addition, keeping my tongue pressed against the roof of my mouth also helped to keep my mouth closed. Not saying I did not at times get awakened by my tongue dropped and leaks occurring but these events are few and far between now.

Gradual reduction in pressure made possible by closely monitoring AHI weekly with Sleepyhead also helped. My experiences were closely guided by the super gurus here giving me confidence to take my therapy in my one hands.

I tried a chin strap for a night but think it was a cheap one as it was not elastic enough and did not persist. I suspect yours probably stretched over time and am now not effective in keeping your mouth closed.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Posts here are so helpful.

I find chin straps slip on my bald spot.

I used a PapCap for several years. I should get one again

I am claustrophobic with full face masks. My ResMed N20 is a delight.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I go along with Rich. I use a Soft Cervical Collar and it has helped with leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 63 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 58 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,698 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 786 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 617 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 334 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.