Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Yup...it's now just a matter of time.
RE: Yup...it's now just a matter of time.
I had my 1st ever issue with a kidney stone earlier this year. We went to the emergency room about 10 pm @ night. It was packed and I got tired of waiting. We returned home and went to bed.

About 2 am I told my me wife I need to go back to the emergency room. Once there it wasn't nearly as busy as before. They took me back and gave me some meds for the pain and I had an MRI done. That disclosed the stone and it's size. 

After waiting and drinking lots of water, then going to the restroom, the doctor told me that he suspected that the stone had been passed by now. I was released about 5:30 am or so. 

Once home, we went to bed and from that point on, I felt much better. I'm on Medicare and have BC / BS as my supplemental insurance. Out-of-pocket expense was zero. That felt pretty danged good as well.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2021, 08:08 AM)FLcracker Wrote: Yes ma'am, I fully understand that there are indeed many good folks with good hearts & intentions employed in the medical 'industry'...but in my own defense of comments made...

In the year 2020, the whole medical field in general took in 2 TRILLION plus dollars in the USA.  2 times one thousand billion. How many billions does it take before enough is enough? 

In my own case... 3 years ago, I had an 'out patient' surgery at a local hospital to remove a kidney stone , they billed my insurance company $23,700.00.  Plus a few hundred they billed me for co-pay.  I was actually only 'in' there for less than 9 hours.  The 'recovery room' charge alone I noted was $8,000 and change...for maybe 30 or 40 minutes of someone watching me sleep off the anesthesia.  if you look at the 'hourly rate', we're talking over $2,600.00 per hour, for the care I received.... Does this seem right to you?  Or does it seem to be just total greed...they charge what they do, because they can....   

FLc"

I have no intention of getting into a debate on personal beliefs about our healthcare system on an apnea forum.  It is just broad statements that "they" do something egregious just because they can to be not fact based.  On the other hand our healthcare system and drug costs truly need to be addressed and improved. BTW  over 50% of the hospitals in the US are non profit.  If you google why hospital charges are so high I think you will get a better understanding why something like "merely watching you sleep" is not an accurate gauge.  Best wishes. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2021, 08:08 AM)FLcracker Wrote: In my own case... 3 years ago, I had an 'out patient' surgery at a local hospital to remove a kidney stone , they billed my insurance company $23,700.00.  Plus ....

When I see statements like this, I always wonder: What did the insurance company pay? When I look at my Medicare statements, I always see that Medicare authorized and paid amount is only a fraction of the amount billed, and some ancillary services that are billed aren't paid at all.

When I had a CABG and about a 12-day hospital stay, I think Medicare paid about one-quarter of the billed amount. When my wife got a power wheelchair two years ago, the amount paid was about one-third of the amount billed.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2021, 02:50 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: When I see statements like this, I always wonder: What did the insurance company pay? When I look at my Medicare statements, I always see that Medicare authorized and paid amount is only a fraction of the amount billed, and some ancillary services that are billed aren't paid at all.

When I had a CABG and about a 12-day hospital stay, I think Medicare paid about one-quarter of the billed amount. When my wife got a power wheelchair two years ago, the amount paid was about one-third of the amount billed.

Very true.  No one, insurance companies or self pays ever pay the full listed charge. They negotiate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 217 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,457 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 628 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 246 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 814 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,223 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.