Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks - best solution
RE: Mouth leaks - best solution
As long as you can breathe through your nose, TAPE your mouth!

I'm a mouth breather, use a full-face mask, and my phone app showed a lot of snoring (up to EPIC)!  So, I started taping my mouth and it has worked.

So, I put a band-aid over the top of my nose because the mask makes the bridge of my nose RED, I tape my mouth and then put the mask on.  Thank goodness I sleep alone and no one comes breaking into my house -- they'd leave just at the sight of me.

MY PROBLEM!  And I know I have to keep my headgear tight to prevent air leaks, my head is sore!  I use the velcro straps on part of my headgear, which really helps.  I wish there was some kind of padded cap to help with other straps cutting into my head.  I just CANNOT loosen the headgear -- so I need help!!

I switched from full-face to the nasal mask (not pillow) and it was so light and felt so good but it wasn't secure -- I would move my head and the mask would move as well -- caused too many air leaks.  So sad because it didn't hit the top of my nose and the headgear wasn't denting into my scalp.  I returned to the full-face (F&P Vitera).

Good luck ... this has been a battle.

Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried everything but at the end of the day had to use a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
BreatheRight I have a Knightsbridge Dual Strap. It's a cap.

It's well made; not padded.

However, it might help if you need to do your straps up that tight.

My story (not important, but may help) When I first got the Knightsbridge DS I was doing it up so tight it hurt. I didn't need to do that. But that was how I was coping with leaks. My issue was fit. I've done this for over 30 years. I have old habits. And I believe "if it aint broke don't fix it". But sometimes my habits are wrong...

There's a really good wiki on mask fit somewhere here...I've read it. Couldn't find it just now.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 09:24 AM)DaveL Wrote: There's a really good wiki on mask fit somewhere here...I've read it. Couldn't find it just now.

Dave, I think you're referring to the Mask Primer.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

BreatheRight,
I'd just like to add, if you have to wear your mask so tight that it hurts, then it's either not fitted properly or it's simply not the right mask for you.  This is definitely the hardest part of therapy... the mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks and yes, I'm sure it's something with the mask -- I changed from small to medium and then back to small.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 07:19 AM)BreatheRight Wrote: MY PROBLEM!  And I know I have to keep my headgear tight to prevent air leaks,

No: tight ist *never* right.  A tight mask will not seal properly.  The mask should "swim" on your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
BreatheRight I Had a DME supplier who allowed no changes. Deal was, buy this cpap (a brick) and you get this mask.

My SleepDocFromH*ll referred me to them. The Hospital he worked for owned 1/2 the company it turned out. That was my second machine. I had used my first one for 8 years.

Treatment there was as stressful--no--more stressful than sleep apnea. Credit Valley Hospital. Dr. Inyoue. (So the doc writes the prescription and refers me to the company store. Somehow that doesn't seem right to me. They sell packages. Expensive. Very expensive. Most expensive. My first and second cpap purchases came from this company. First in London Ontario; second in Mississauga Ontario.) It's a crooked business.)

I started looking for a new DME supplier. I work in a big business. I started asking around--who had sleep apnea? I looked for people with mask strap marks on their cheeks, like me. Were they happy with their sleep doc? Were they happy with their equipment supplier? That lead me to a better DME supplier. I still buy from them today. It led me to far better choices and equipment. Sleep doc? Fired him...long story.

I thought I would tell you my story, in hope that it would help you.

Mask choice is so important. I've learned so much here. About advocating for myself and making my own choices. My treatment is so much better and I sleep better. I'm still learning....
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2021, 08:17 AM)Wombat81 Wrote: I tried everything but at the end of the day had to use a full face mask.

Can you list all the face masks you've tried? I would like to see what nasal and pillow masks you've tried. 
I'm gonna search for the list of ones I submitted a while back. 
I'm pretty sure my list is about 7 masks until I finally settled on the current nasal pillow mask.

EDIT:
Can't find the entire list but I found this partial list in a post of mine:
list of nasals, pillows tried but not FFM's list
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for sharing your experience taping to control mouth leaks.... I agree that taping is the best solution; I tried it and it worked but all the tapes I tried peeled my skin when taking it off either on the lips or around it... what are the best tapes to help getting a good night sleep without injuring your mouth skin?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2021, 05:04 PM)1morelia Wrote: thanks for sharing your experience taping to control mouth leaks.... I agree that taping is the best solution; I tried it and it worked but all the tapes I tried peeled my skin when taking it off either on the lips or around it... what are the best tapes to help getting a good night sleep without injuring your mouth skin?

The best tape I've found is 3M's "Nexcare - strong hold - pain-free removal tape, for sensitive skin. Up to 48 hour hold, hypoallergenic."  I bought in on amazon by error. There is another variety 3M Nexcare tape for sensitive skin with almost identical packaging. It does not work as well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 283 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 138 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.