Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks - best solution
RE: Mouth leaks - best solution
Tape is much more popular than people realize.  I use it.  My sleep doc started hearing more and more about users going that route.  So much so that he's asking users which style and brand they use.

It may be more common for PAP users than we realize as the style and brand that I use is constantly out-of-stock at nearby stores.  They'll get a supply and then it's completely depleted in a week or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Guess that's why my local pharmacy never has a choice of tape .... everyone is taping their mouths at night!

Post Reply Post Reply
Currently I'm using Fleximull tape that I got on Amazon. There's a US counterpart as well, BSN Medical Cover Roll Stretch, 4" x 10 yds, Single Roll.

I tape from about a 1/4" above my lip, down my chin. Extend 1/2" over each side of my lips. Works great.
I've reduced leaks, but have not fully eliminated. My only problem is my facial hair grows fast so I have to shave almost every day for the tape to stick. I used to use the 3M but it was too aggressive and would peel my skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm currently using Fleximull tape that I got on US Amazon, but there is a US equivalent:

BSN Medical Cover Roll Stretch, 4" x 10 yds, Single Roll

I can cut this wide across my lips, probably a 1/2" over each side of the lips, then pull the tape down covering my lips and chin. This helps as my jaw goes slack during the night.

I've tried the 3" wide 3M tape, and that was a bit rough on my skin.

I do have to shave every other day other wise the stubble will create leak pathways on the tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run my fingers over my upper lip just before applying the tape.  If it's stubbly, I whip out my Phillips electric shaver and give my mouth a quick run-over.  Then, I clean my mouth with soap and water to remove facial oils.  Finally, apply the tape and head for the sack.

Clean your shaven mouth, but also press firmly on the tape everywhere with finger tips.  That works well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was surprised. Last post said to put a piece of tape vertically over both lips. So I tried it.

Is this the way to do it? Or horizontally over both lips?
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 12:38 PM)DaveL Wrote: I was surprised. Last post said to put a piece of tape vertically over both lips. So I tried it.

Is this the way to do it? Or horizontally over both lips?

I do it horizontally over both lips, extending a bit past the corners of my mouth.  If I don't cover 100% of my mouth, air finds it's way out and makes noise on the way.

I've seen lots of people say they do it vertically, too.  I think it's just whatever works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I start with a sensitivity to adhesive on tape...I worked for 3M for 15 years. They made tape in 5 foot rolls. Solvent based adhesive. I developed an allergy to solvent based adhesive. Like magic mending tape. It was a transparent tape. Many of the adhesives had mineral spirits in them.

I haven't bought many 3M tapes since then. I should try something new in case my old stuff has been replaced with something better.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Taping vertically is the best solution to the many problems of mouth breathing. One of the problems of full lips taping - even apart from the risks involved in some sort of block in the nasal passage - is that pressurised air sometimes blow out of your mouth. If your lips are sealed, then the air puffs out your mouth like a balloon and you wake up tearing the tape off your while sputtering.
Post Reply Post Reply
Came back to see what's been added....

Last night's leaks were terrible.  I hadn't taped.  I have a simple pad that I place under my chin with a strap around my neck. Last night it didn't work.

So choices tonight are:
1. tape with my very old 3M tape, or...
2. use my Knightsbridge Dual Band cap--it has 2 straps. (I never seem to get it right.)
3. find some new tape....that's why I came back....
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 138 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.