Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks/ear problems/lightheadedness
Mouth leaks/ear problems/lightheadedness
I have been using apap for 8 months with great success. I have nasal pillows and was experiencing mouth leaks..so tried a chin strap...still some leakage and I minded all that stuff on my head...so have been taping my mouth without problems until now. I am experiencing lightheadedness and my ears feel full...I do not have a cold or any other symptoms. I am wondering if the taping resulted in the air going up the Eustachian tubes causing middle ear problems ? Any ideas ? Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leaks/ear problems/lightheadedness
(01-22-2016, 11:14 AM)Jackiep Wrote: I have been using apap for 8 months with great success. I have nasal pillows and was experiencing mouth leaks..so tried a chin strap...still some leakage and I minded all that stuff on my head...so have been taping my mouth without problems until now. I am experiencing lightheadedness and my ears feel full...I do not have a cold or any other symptoms. I am wondering if the taping resulted in the air going up the Eustachian tubes causing middle ear problems ? Any ideas ? Thanks

Hi Jackiep,
Mouth taping isn't really recommended, but if you have been doing that for 8 months with no problems, then its unlikely that mouth taping would cause problems with your ears. But there are folk here that do have ear issues using CPAP, so the best thing you can do is make an appointment with an ENT just to see what is going on.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is likely that your Eustachian tubes are getting blocked. CPAP seems to normally pressurize the middle ear somewhat but as soon as you get off the hose it should normalize.

Here is a link to a method for clearing the blockage. http://www.fauquierent.net/etd2.htm

I can not take credit for finding this. I just thought it was very interesting.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jackiep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It would bee a good idea for you to see your doc about this problem.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your ear problem straightened out and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 110 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 110 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 357 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 811 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 634 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.