Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks getting worse, is FFM my only option?
Mouth leaks getting worse, is FFM my only option?
I can't seem to get a handle on the mouth leaks. I was able to try a Mirage Quattro, but alas, it was to big, and chewed up the bridge of my nose. I'm looking at the Amara gel, in a medium, but I'm skeptical after the Mirage. I would appreciate advice on what to expect with a full face mask, specially the Amara gel, or clues to stop the leaks, I won't try taping though. I use and have tried many types of chin straps, but much like when I'm awake, I can't keep those lips from flapping............................ Thank you in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leaks getting worse, is FFM my only option?
I had the same result with my first try at the Mirage Quattro (I might try again).  The F&P Simplus is working OK for me.  I get some leaks into my eyes and face farts early in the morning but other than that it is comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I could not stop mouth breathing no matter what I did so I had to go with a full mask. The Amara view might be an option. It is a full mask with out the nose bridge. The Resmed F20 might also be an option. The f10 would leave some marks on the bridge of my nose but the F20 seems easier on my bridge.

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
My first two masks were the Quattro Air and the Amara gel. I have much better leak rates with the Quattro Air. Both are comfortable masks.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2017, 07:11 PM)Hockenberry Wrote: I can't seem to get a handle on the mouth leaks. I was able to try a Mirage Quattro, but alas, it was to big, and chewed up the bridge of my nose. I'm looking at the Amara gel, in a medium, but I'm skeptical after the Mirage. I would appreciate advice on what to expect with a full face mask, specially the Amara gel, or clues to stop the leaks, I won't try taping though. I use and have tried many types of chin straps, but much like when I'm awake, I can't keep those lips from flapping............................ Thank you in advance!

The Quattro is a great mask, but in my opinion there are more user friendly masks out now. Try a F&P Simplus. Ifor it's fits your nose profile then it is much more comfortable that a Quattro. Try a Resmed F10 or F20 next. Same nose profile issue mentioned above. Please note that the Simply will hold higher pressurestandard better than an F10.

I my opinion the Amara Gel and Amara View are poor masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2017, 07:34 PM)car54 Wrote: I could not stop mouth breathing no matter what I did so I had to go with a full mask. The Amara view might be an option. It is a full mask with out the nose bridge. The Resmed F20 might also be an option. The f10 would leave some marks on the bridge of my nose but the F20 seems easier on my bridge.

car54

Thanks! I was having same troubles too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another option is a soft cervical collar.  I would like to use a nasal mask or pillow, but my recent increases in pressure I have started to mouth breath during deep REM sleep.  I tried a chin strap but still manage to get air leaking out of my lips.  Last night I tried a soft cervical collar that I had around.  I did not get any significant leaks (as judged by not waking up with Sandpaper Mouth) and an AHI of 0.1!  It is just one point of data for but these collars are cheap and available in any drugstore.  It is worth a try in my opinion.  I will start a new thread if I continue to have success.
Post Reply Post Reply
Google the Ultimate Chin Strap,

I've been using it for a few weeks now and my leaks have been reduced to zero (consistently). I have been taping with it and then I put a no-show sock a little over my lips, but not so far that it's hitting my nose, then I put the chinstrap on. (This leaves enough room for the pillows and also enough that it's completely covering lips, I've found if you exactly cover the lips it isn't as comfortable, you gotta go a little higher)

I think many people might be able to get away with either just enough tape to keep the lips closed (not 100% taped) or maybe the sock underneath it will prevent the air leak. You can also tighten it on your mouth more or less depending on what you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, to all who contributed to my thread. I tried the cervical collar, it helps my position, but not lip leaks. I waiting for a P&K Simplus FFM, that I ordered from Supplier #9, should be here soon, I think that is my future.
Again....... Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Something that I've been trying for the last 3 nights has made a big difference for me with mouth leaks. I use AirFit P10 nasal pillows and have been using a Philips Res chin strap with decent results. I added in 2" paper medical tape over my mouth and my leak numbers dropped to 0. Between the mask, chin strap and tape there is a lot going on but if I can get a good nights sleep it's worth it to me. Will continue to experiment and see if getting rid of the chin strap and just using tape will work. Hopefully I can train myself over time to keep my big mouth closed at night.

Let us know how the FFM works out for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 231 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.