Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks in the morning
Mouth leaks in the morning
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to CPAP (two weeks in). So far it's been easier than I expected. I'm using a P10, which has generally worked great (once I got the correctly size pillows, that is), with one problem - I end up breathing through my mouth sometime early in the morning, after not breathing through my mouth most of the night. I've attached a screenshot from sleepyhead that shows the problem fairly well.

My hunch is the answer is to try a chin strap (I've ordered one and it will be here on Monday), but is there anything else worth trying?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leaks in the morning
Hi chrysogognus,
It's good that you ordered a chinstrap.
Hopefully, that will work for you.
Hang in there for more responses.
Keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try keeping your tongue to the roof of your mouth, with the tip of your tongue right behind your front teeth. This takes practice, but after awhile you'll do it automatically.
This action blocks air from entering the back of your throat. I was able to ditch the chin strap after awhile.
OpalRose.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If im going to mouth breathe which is rare, itll always happen in the morning. Not sure why and I do use a chin strap, but it never lasts more than a few minutes then stops.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 06:32 PM)chrysogognus Wrote: My hunch is the answer is to try a chin strap (I've ordered one and it will be here on Monday), but is there anything else worth trying?

Your leak graph definitely shows signs of mouth-leaking. Hopefully a chin strap will fix the problem. If not, your only other option is a full face mask. It will help you sleep better.

I had a similar leak pattern. For some reason the mouth gets lazy as the night goes on. For me it was those morning sessions where I'd try to get back to sleep that were the worst. Not the start of a good day.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 what OpalRose said, It's all in the training!
Practice make perfect....or good sleep!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.