Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PRS 560 time zone changes on travel
PRS 560 time zone changes on travel
I will be travelling for a couple of weeks in a country 7 time zones ahead of my home and I am not sure how the CPAP machine handles the data collected as regards time of day. Does all data simply get stored and reported using my home time zone?
Is there a setting I need to change?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PRS 560 time zone changes on travel
You have a PR so it is set to UTC anyway, not your home zone. It will always report the same time, no matter where you are. Which is good since you can't set the clocks on those machines anyway.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/di...ml?p1=1440
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do I have to adjust the sleepyhead software for the reports to be "normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead will work off the system clock. So if you change your computer's timezone, sleepyhead will adjust to that timezone. It also means that your data for days in the original time zone will shift to seemingly odd hours. But its just the view that changes. The underlying data stays the same (all captured in a UTC timezone by the PRS1 machine).
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I spent some time in South Korea where the time zone was across the international date line +17 hours from my home. My advise would be just use the machine, enjoy the trip and don't worry about it. It is going to get way too complicated if everytime you take a trip across time zones you start adjusting the time in SH. The time of day aspect of the data is pretty trivial, and it's easier to just consider the start and ending times as markers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I traveled to Japan last December with my PRS560. I let my MacBook change time to local. Everything looked strange in SleepyHead as the previous data shifted and the data collected in Japan looked right. When I got back to the Atlanta area my MacBook changed back to my normal timezone. The Japan collected data looked shifted relative to the Atlanta data (like I slept during the day instead of at night for a week.)

Ultimately, it's no problem. I just kept notes in SleepyHead to remind me why things looked different. If you have compliance requirements you might want to think about the time changes versus the apparent gaps that might appear. I used my machine overnight before I left Japan waking up normally on Saturday morning there. I traveled to the Atlanta area arriving late afternoon on the same Saturday. I used the machine Saturday night in Atlanta. Due to the time change and the flight duration, it now looks like I did not use the machine on Friday night. It is not intuitive, and depends on where you have SleepyHead divide day data (12PM default).

If you are really concerned, I can take a screenshot of my resulting SleepyHead "Session Times" chart. Send me a PM.

Cheers,
Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
One fix is to set the laptop's clock to UTC. I just checked and my HP running Win 7 can do that. It won't adjust to whatever local time you go through when you connect it to the wifi (which is what changes the time). Or, just put it back on the home time zone just when you are downloading your data. Just right click the clock area on the taskbar if you have Windoze. Not sure how to do it on a Mac.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all. I have awhile before I go and so I will think on this. I don't think I will have compliance issues because I am only trying to satisfy Medicare and I use it every night, all night. During travel I plan on using a Netbook which I only use for travel.
1- copy my SH files to blank SD card just before travel
2- record travel data to this SD downloading to the Netbook in local time.
3- once home, run SH into my home time zone
4- save that travel data which should then be in my home time zone
5- copy only the travel data from the Netbook to my home computer.
I'm thinking this might keep all my SH data in the same time zone.

I'll report back sometime in June after I take my trip.
Post Reply Post Reply
You know the data is for you, right? No one else will ever look at it or care what time zone it occurred in. If your DME is monitoring compliance, all they care about is hours per session. The start and end times don't count. Data is a great motivator and information soruce for keeping treatment optimal, but don't let it become an obsession. Have a nice trip.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2015, 11:00 PM)on the virge Wrote: I will be travelling for a couple of weeks in a country 7 time zones ahead of my home

OK, this is off topic, but since you will be 7 hours ahead of everyone, please check out the winning PowerBall numbers Wednesday or Saturday evening there and send them back to me. I figure can get the winning ticket bought in the seven hour window and we can split the jackpot...

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,680 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,746 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.