Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
So I decided to give nasal pillows a whirl through a trial with my DME. I like the way they feel; however, I mouth leak like crazy with them. I've been using nasal masks with no problem, but with the pillows it just kind of blows my mouth open. I've tried using a mouthguard, and then tried a chin strap and just couldn't get comfortable. So, back to the wisp I go. Has anyone else had this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
It could just be a matter of training yourself with the chin strap to not lip leak or open your mouth. How long did you give the chin strap a try? Which nasal pillows did you try?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the chin strap for a total of a week and it's just not comfortable for me. I tried the swift fx and the p10. Both incredibly comfortable, just kept blowing my mouth open.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 06:21 PM)truetopath Wrote: I tried the chin strap for a total of a week and it's just not comfortable for me. I tried the swift fx and the p10. Both incredibly comfortable, just kept blowing my mouth open.
So your able to keep your mouth shut with a nasal mask but not the pillows?, I would think if you could do one you would be able to do the other, I think back in the beginning of my training ( I'm using a nasal mask) I would make a point to breath though my nose and hold my tongue to the roof of my mouth during the day while working ect, after a couple of weeks I don't even open my mouth at night any more. only leaks I have now are from the mask.
I do believe you need to train yourself on nose breathing only, and It can take some time.
Good luck maybe down the road you can try those pillows again .
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 06:53 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 06:21 PM)truetopath Wrote: I tried the chin strap for a total of a week and it's just not comfortable for me. I tried the swift fx and the p10. Both incredibly comfortable, just kept blowing my mouth open.
So your able to keep your mouth shut with a nasal mask but not the pillows?, I would think if you could do one you would be able to do the other, I think back in the beginning of my training ( I'm using a nasal mask) I would make a point to breath though my nose and hold my tongue to the roof of my mouth during the day while working ect, after a couple of weeks I don't even open my mouth at night any more. only leaks I have now are from the mask.
I do believe you need to train yourself on nose breathing only, and It can take some time.
Good luck maybe down the road you can try those pillows again .
Sleep-well

I have no mouth leaks with the nasal mask but do with the pillows. I made sure to change my mask setting on my machine too. I don't mind the nasal masks at all, just wanted to give pillows a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which chin strap did you try. There's several different ones and each has different feel and style.

Van Wrinkle, the pillows blow air directly into the nostril which has more "force" behind it. While the masks have more "buffer" before the pressure enters the nostril. Same pressure, just different entry system. With my FFM, I find it much easier to breathe out through my nose than when I was wearing the pillows.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 08:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Which chin strap did you try. There's several different ones and each has different feel and style.

Van Wrinkle, the pillows blow air directly into the nostril which has more "force" behind it. While the masks have more "buffer" before the pressure enters the nostril. Same pressure, just different entry system. With my FFM, I find it much easier to breathe out through my nose than when I was wearing the pillows.

I tried a generic one strap over the head and the ruby style chin strap. I think it's the more direct airflow causing my problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably. You could keep trying to get used to the chin strap or try another. I hated the fake ruby. There's the Premium by Respironics. The original Ruby was supposed to be better. I've started seeing it again on a lot of the online suppliers.

But keep an eye on your data to make sure you aren't lip leaking or mouth breathing with your nasal mask, too. Just in case.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 08:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Which chin strap did you try. There's several different ones and each has different feel and style.

PaulaO2,
That clears up why I wondered about more folks using chin straps with nasal pillows.
some day I'll have to try pillows , but for now everything is working fine with the Eson nasal so no need to change.
Thanks
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 08:54 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:

PaulaO2,
That clears up why I wondered about more folks using chin straps with nasal pillows.
some day I'll have to try pillows , but for now everything is working fine with the Eson nasal so no need to change.
Thanks
Sleep-well
If using APAP, you may find that your pressure needs reduce on Nasal Pillows vs. an FFM (I saw it in my case). I am guessing it will be the same vs. a nasal mask.

That may mitigate the need for a chin strap somewhat because higher pressures are more likely to blow open the mouth gate.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,755 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.