Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
RE: Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
I'm pretty new to this myself and I have a similar problem. I read in the manual for "ResMed Airsense 10 For Her" to increase the humidity. I will try that first before the chin strap. I like the pillows better than the nose mask.
Hope you find your solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.

I ordered a ResMed Sullivan chinstrap, and it seems to be helping. It's not perfect, and if I get it tight enough to keep my mouth closed I end up clenching my jaw a bit. It also shifts pretty easily since there's only one strap on the top. I think it will work, but I'll probably order a few more before deciding on what I like the best.
(03-11-2015, 07:30 AM)Exhale Wrote: I'm pretty new to this myself and I have a similar problem. I read in the manual for "ResMed Airsense 10 For Her" to increase the humidity. I will try that first before the chin strap. I like the pillows better than the nose mask.
Hope you find your solution.

I have the humidity set fairly high already. I tried with it off once and woke up with a stuffed up nose - but that's probably a topic for a different post.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have about given up the idea of a pillow mask completely, exactly for the reason of dry mouth so bad it hurts to open it. Used a chinstrap, but found the combo very distracting. I tried the opti-life pillows last night, again, and between leaks, and the bone dry mouth, I just don't see how it will work for me. I tried the direct cushions, before even laying down, and the leaks, and the noise was horrific. I have no reason to believe that I will be any more successful with the nasal mask, as far as the dry mouth goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 07:05 PM)saltydawg2 Wrote: I have about given up the idea of a pillow mask completely, exactly for the reason of dry mouth so bad it hurts to open it. Used a chinstrap, but found the combo very distracting. I tried the opti-life pillows last night, again, and between leaks, and the bone dry mouth, I just don't see how it will work for me. I tried the direct cushions, before even laying down, and the leaks, and the noise was horrific. I have no reason to believe that I will be any more successful with the nasal mask, as far as the dry mouth goes.
Sounds like you need to stick with your full face mask, It's good the are options out there. It is surly true that what works for one won't work for another, I'm going to try the pillows on my next mask, I think I'm doing good on my training of keeping my mouth closed, so I don't think I'll need to go the full face route, I've never been much of a mouth breather since my nasal surgery (straighten the septum and ream her out Smile).
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the input. I am continuing with my Wisp nasal mask and doing very well with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this sounds crazy. But you might want to try two pieces of medical tape over your mouth. There is some information about that if you read anything regarding buteyko breathing techniques.

I'm in the middle of trying the taping. It was a little weird at first. But now after three nights my leak rate has been 0,0, and 6. With the chin strap my leak rates ranged from 18 to 30. And I can honestly say the tape is a lot more comfortable than the chin straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all, a quick update. I picked up the P10 today, and will use it tonight. For the last 3 nights I have successfully slept with a chin strap-the ruby one- with my wisp nasal mask, so I'm hoping for a great night tonight. I also have the opus 360 and aloha coming via snail mail so I'll have some variety to amuse for the next few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2015, 07:10 PM)truetopath Wrote: Hi all, a quick update. I picked up the P10 today, and will use it tonight. For the last 3 nights I have successfully slept with a chin strap-the ruby one- with my wisp nasal mask, so I'm hoping for a great night tonight. I also have the opus 360 and aloha coming via snail mail so I'll have some variety to amuse for the next few weeks.

Did you get the Aloha yet? We are anxiously waiting your reviews!
Post Reply Post Reply
Another nasal pillow user eager to hear your review of the Aloha! The pictures look like it might alleviate my annoyance about straps almost in my eyes with most other headgear configurations.

So far, the P10 is the best I've used.

Also will try the Ruby chinstrap. Have been using a version of the Respironics Deluxe, but I have to cut it down to make it narrower. Tried lots of others which didn't work. Tried tape which made my face break out.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's funny. Since the 2 months I have been on therapy. I find myself during the day relaxing with my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth as if to prevent mouth leaks. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 80 Yesterday, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 69 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 442 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,067 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 789 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 622 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 193 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.