Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit N10
Humidifier: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: 4-9
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Mouth opening - Need full mask?
Hi everyone, I am new on this board and a new CPAPer. I have mild sleep apnea due to vasomotor rhinitis (thick mucus, post nasal drip, etc). So during the night I snore and end up breathing out my mouth most of the time because my sinuses get blocked and dry. And as a result, my mouth is always dry when I wake up.

I started out on May 5th using the nasal pillows and then switched to the nasal mask. I found the nasal mask to be more comfortable. However, I am still having this trouble where I am LUCKY to wear the mask 4 or 5 hours a night and then have to take it off. The problem is after a certain amount of time my sinuses, mouth, and everything gets so dry and stuffy that air has no place to go but blow out my mouth which eventually wakes me up. I tried upping the humidity as suggested by my respiratory therapist but that didn't make a difference; it just made me more uncomfortable and still have air blowing out the mouth after a few hours. I tried the chin strap on two different nights and had to take it off. Between the straps for the nasal mask and that, it's too much. I end up with straps all over head, it's crazy. I really want to wear it all night to get the full benefit, but have been unable to.

So tonight I am trying the full face mask. Could this be the solution to my problem?

BTW, My minimal pressure 4 and my max is 9. The max was 13 but my doc changed it to 9 because I was averaging around 6-7.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 03:49 PM by MouthBreatha.)
07-08-2015 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
eplantz Online

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: H5I
CPAP Pressure: 15-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Mouth opening - Need full mask?
A full-face mask may be the solution for you based upon your comments. Most people, including me, find the FFM is a problem because of leaks. The larger surface area and differing face contours make these larger masks difficult.

Good Luck!
07-08-2015 04:01 PM
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

I use a full face mask and still try hard to avoid mouth breathing, because even with the humidity set high I still get a dry mouth that wakes me up. You didn't say anything about the humidifier setting you are using. I would suggest setting it as high as you can stand and use a heated hose if you don't have one now.

I have had rhinitus in one form or another for more than sixty years, so I imagine I understand what you are dealing with at least partly. I found that taking a steroidal nasal spray an hour before bed time helps a whole lot. Your mileage may differ.

But the high pressure air does help to keep the nasal passages open and if they are drying out you need to have a humidifier and a heated hose to prevent that. Also there are various nasal gels that will help your nose stay lubricated.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2015 04:18 PM by eseedhouse.)
07-08-2015 04:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I use a FFM (hybrid actually) and find it more comfortable than having to wear yet-another-appliance such as a chin strap. It all boils down to what you feel comfortable with wearing. A pressure setting of 4 is low for most people. What do you have the humidity set at now?

Welcome

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-08-2015 05:52 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi MouthBreatha,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with the FFM.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well for you.

trish6hundred
07-08-2015 06:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
MouthBreatha Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I have been up and down the spectrum with humidity and temperature. Nothing worked. 4 is low, but that is just how it starts. It is generally hanging out around 7 most of the time. I just started using SleepyTime today so I have much to learn, much to learn. Thanks for the replies. I'll report back tomorrow how things went.
07-08-2015 06:27 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

I find that my sleepybugs report usually looks really rough. I keep fluttering between AHI of 3 and 9. I have been able to sleep pretty well, and feel happy.

I use the full face because I just don't want to accidently shift out of nose breathing while sleeping and getting lousy sleep. That said, coping with the leaks and itchy nose and sweaty face whiny multi-sleeps are par for the course with the FFM.

I'll probably go a-tinkering again soon.

So, go for the FFM and relax a while. Looking thru the forum, most would be saying they changed their start (or ramp start) pressure to higher than 4, generally in the 6 range, or just setting to off. I would be doing this if I had your experiences.

Good luck!

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
07-08-2015 10:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Oscargrchy Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Unsure
CPAP Pressure: Auto 8-18 average 12
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Hi, I am fairly new here to the forum and they are awesome for giving you helpful info. It was suggested by the RT today because I can't use steroid sprays she suggested that I use saline spray before bed and then try using a tensor bandage as a chin strap to see if I could tolerate that more.
07-08-2015 11:08 PM
MouthBreatha Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I used the FFM last night and was able to use it the entire night for the first time. YEAH! So that is a big relief. I did get more than normal leaks though and slightly more apneas, the latter possibly because I used it longer. And I didn't feel as dry as I normally do. So I am going to try and up the humidity and temp a notch tonight. What has made really testing this machine out fully is that my wife and I had a baby about 5 days after I started therapy. Therefore, I've only had a few nights since May 5th that I have gotten 7 hours of sleep or more. So It's hard to say how well its working.

Last night the barometric pressure dropped to a low pressure system, (below 29.92) just below that actually. Have any of you noticed that a low BP will give you a poor night's sleep or make you sleepy during the day when its low? I noticed that a few years ago and I and i am hoping this CPAP helps with that. If you have noticed this, does the CPAP help?
Thanks.
07-09-2015 07:12 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

By BP, I presume that you mean barometric pressure and not blood pressure. Might not want to use that abbreviation.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
07-09-2015 09:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need full face mask advice Bob32256 13 703 Today 02:10 AM
Last Post: pjfollyfarm
  Mouth Splints and CPAP kingskid 3 78 Yesterday 01:18 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,745 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 531 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 321 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 337 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
Angry [Treatment] Dry Mouth Question Turborob2005 5 328 11-15-2016 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider