Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth "pops" when using nasal masks
Mouth "pops" when using nasal masks
I have a nasal mask (brand is called Joy I think) and whenever I use it, I sometimes get mouth "popping". I feel that some of the air thats pushed into my throat escapes into my mouth. It slowly fills up with air and when it cant handle any more air it "pops", making a sound that wakes me up.

Anyone knows why this happens? It started happening when I lost 10kg (went from 84kg to 74kg). This, along with difficulty of sleeping with the mask, made it impossible for me to sleep with the mask. I would like to know why this happens so I could go back to wearing the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth "pops" when using nasal masks
Doubtless pressure is forcing your lips apart in a sudden burst.

I'm experimenting with exhale pressure relief, which may be helping. You might try that.

Since you wear a nasal mask, you could try taping your mouth closed.

The simplest thing would be to try a full face mask that covers your mouth as well, like the F30. That way your mouth could be loose and/or open.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed that lately, too.

I don't remember it happening before, but I've lost around 20 lb since the start of the year, and it may have something to do with that. Most air goes through my nasal mask into my lungs, but some bypasses all my internal pneumatics into my mouth until it builds up enough pressure to leak out even though my mouth is closed.

I haven't tried changing any exhale pressure relief settings, that's a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2021, 04:02 AM)NoddingHacker Wrote: I feel that some of the air thats pushed into my throat escapes into my mouth. 
Now that happens if and only if your tongue is not in place, i.e., in the wrong ell-position instead of the healthy enn-position.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2021, 11:41 AM)hegel Wrote: Doubtless pressure is forcing your lips apart in a sudden burst.

I'm experimenting with exhale pressure relief, which may be helping. You might try that.

Since you wear a nasal mask, you could try taping your mouth closed.

The simplest thing would be to try a full face mask that covers your mouth as well, like the F30. That way your mouth could be loose and/or open.

My sleep DR actually strongly recommends against taping the mouth shut during sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried doing tongue exercises?
https://youtu.be/wNscQ3bGxNk
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 318 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.