Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth puffing up with tape
RE: Mouth puffing up with tape
Before I switched to the F20 airtouch I had good luck with the N20 airtouch, taping the outer 1/3rd of my mouth on both sides and using a cheap single strap chin strap. It lets some air out but mostly your mouth stays closed. I also didn't feel claustrophobic from it and could take a sip of water at night.

So, now I alternate from the N20 airtouch and the F20 airtouch. The foam seals MUCH better with any facial hair. The N20 is great for nights where I haven't taken any sleep aid, pain killers, muscle relaxers or alcohol. Any of those make my mouth open super easy and without them I don't need the mouth tape or chin strap..

+1 on daytime practice keeping the tongue at the teeth during the day. I found that after a while (maybe 3 weeks) I had no trouble nose breathing all the time as is my natural tendency. But if I rolled to my back or hit REM sleep I exhale through the mouth.

I tried the F30 and F30i and the F&P version since resmed didn't have a 'large' that fit, they skip to a 'wide' which was to wide. None were comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to get air in my mouth too with taping. I just exhaled hard through my nose and pushed my tongue against the roof of my mouth and the puffing went away. I don't get it anymore. Also, I don't think you need a full face mask. I use Bleep and it causes no problem.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi folks, nobody seems to have talked about pillows and their effect on throat or jaw movement on this thread.

This morning, during REM, I started getting chipmunk cheeks and they were waking me up. I sleep on my side. I noticed that air would just flow past my tongue until I wedged my pillow up against my chin and upper neck more. Then air was not getting through. I passed out and slept for another 45 minutes.

I use latex pillows and I think over the course of the night they deform and don't support my neck sufficiently in their compressed form.

Do you have advice for pillows that can be more supportive and change shape less? Has anyone else addressed puffy cheeks by supporting their jaw and neck from the side with a pillow?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 834 1 hour ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 112 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 113 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 635 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,256 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.