Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth so dry it wakes me up
Mouth so dry it wakes me up
This is my first post as a new member.  I've been using my CPAP for about a year now and am having a problem with how extremely dry my mouth and throat get. I wake up with my mouth stuck shut it's so dry! The highest fixed setting causes rainout.  The next setting down doesn't solve the problem and the tank runs dry sometimes. I'm experimenting with different humidifier settings and was wondering if keeping the machine in a drawer has any effect on the adaptive setting working properly? Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth so dry it wakes me up
It sounds like your having air leak out of your mouth. No humidifier will keep your mouth moist in that case. Have you tried a chin strap or soft cervical collar?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
"was wondering if keeping the machine in a drawer..."

Don't keep your machine in a drawer. It needs good ventilation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Floridagirl,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Sounds to me like you may be mouth breathing. That can make your mouth feel like it’s stuffed with cotton. Sad

Many members here use a “soft” cervical collar. This helps keep your jaw/mouth from dropping open while you sleep. They are not expensive and shouldn’t be worn tight. Measure the circumference of your neck and add a couple inches. Also measure for height. You don’t want it so tall that it pushes against your jaw too much. Amazon is a good place to find various sizes.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get a terribly dry mouth, too. It wakes me up. On the P10 and the F10, no difference. Cervical collar, no diff. Nothing makes a difference. They need to build spritzers into these masks even if they’re not auto. You push a lil button, a little spray comes out, and you’re good to go...

Or...the humidifier should have a blast button like headlamps do. You reach over, slam the blast button, it gives you some extra, and you roll over.

They need to make the blast button blue tooth and so you can attach it to your headgear....

or the inverse of BMW windshield wipers, which sense raindrops and turn on automatically; on a xPAP get up, they’d sense dryness and automatically give a blast per your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey. I used a Resmed s10 auto for over a year after a few months i started getting what you have, ive used max humidifier and it didnt help. I noticed a difference when i switched from regular to heated tube. heated tube and humidifier work with each other so you get humidity but no raindrops.

Is your hose heated? 

I also cant live without some sort of over the counter dry mouth/throat thing, like a gel or a slowly dissolving pill or some spray. I like the Oracoat Xylimelts. I remove the gray part though it makes me nauseated. Its a sure bet because I am a mouth breathing cpap user. My nose is closed so i also have to use a protrusion mouth piece, Narval CC under my mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I do keep it in a drawer but I leave it open about 6" when in use. Should I not use it in the drawer at all?
Post Reply Post Reply
Boy that s a great idea!  Maybe someone is listening?

I filled an empty a travel size saline bottle with water and a little bioteen mouth rinse.  It has a very tiny hole on n the top and won't spill or drip out unless I squeeze it.  I can easily squirt just a small amount in my mouth without waking up too much and without having to sit up enough to use a straw or take a drink.  I hate having to wake up several times a night to do it though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2018, 05:01 PM)Floridagirl Wrote: Yes I do keep it in a drawer but I leave it open about 6" when in use. Should I not use it in the drawer at all?

Best if it is in the open, it needs a through flow of air.
Walla Walla is right, you must have a leak of air from your mouth.
Chin strap kept tight is the answer or something like a collar as was mentioned.
Keep a bottle of water by your bedside, one of those sports bottles with the pop up top or one with a straw so you can take a small sip of water.
If you haven't got a humidifier, get one.
If a chin strap does not work, you might need to change to a full-faced mask or a Hybrid one that covers your mouth and also connects to your nose.
Try a chin strap first or wrap a bandage round just to try it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose.  I'll try the collar.   I have one tucked away somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 83 4 hours ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 107 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 808 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,231 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.