Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth taping, What tape works best for you?
Mouth taping, What tape works best for you?
I would like to know for the people who tape their mouth at night what type of tape are you using?
I use Somnifix.  I read that people use micropore tape, is this the same as paper tape?
thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth taping, What tape works best for you?
Hi, new here but a CPAP mouth-breather for 20+ years. I use a 3-M product called Durapore in a 2" width. It's a silk surgical tape, works quite well when I'm clean-shaven but fails if I go more than 2 or 3 days without a shave. I also make sure I wash my face with a soap that doesn't have oils or moisturizers - they cause the tape to not stick well. Another little trick I've been trying is to roll my lips towards the inside of my mouth before putting on the tape - maybe I get a tighter seal that's less likely to come undone during the night. As sticky as this stuff is it's not an infrequent occurrence to wake up to a leak where I broke through the tape during the night. If you try this tape, remove it very slowly, holding it near to your skin. It's capable of yanking out hair follicles which bleed slightly but hurt like hell. Finally, I can only get it from a surgical supply store. It's expensive but they give me a break when I buy a whole box rather than one or 2 rolls. One box consistently lasts a year.

Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks on 903, will look into that.  
Let’s see what other people use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use cheapo 2" wide painters tape. As long as I don't have too much stubble, it works great.
Post Reply Post Reply
Damiansd I am surprised that painters tape would stay on all night.  It seems so thin to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Walmart has what they call medical tape. It works well and is economical.
Post Reply Post Reply
RNeil, does it stay on all night, and is it easy to remove it in the morning?
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
it never occurred to me to scrounge around in the workshop and find it. I guess duct tape would work for that matter, but I don't know how I'd get the residue off my skin, if there were any skin left after the removal.  Thank you, I'me going to try the masking tape tonight.

Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
3M Corp's NexCare "Water Resistant" tape, white tape about 1" wide, in a white plastic spool and outer cylinder cover.  The decal has blue, white, and turquoise colours and has the brand name and 'Water Resistant" on the decal.  Easily torn, easily applied, and easily removed.  Mine stays in place all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Mesenteria, will check that product out.  Good to know it’s easily removed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.