Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moved from S8 to S9 and now have dry mouth
Moved from S8 to S9 and now have dry mouth
Has anyone else experienced this? I went from a Resmed S8 to S9 a year ago. I had no problem with the S8 and it worked great except for the fact that it did not data log for more than 6 months and I need to report compliance. So I bought an S9 and have had dry mouth since even though I have a full face mask. I tried a heated hose, experimenting with humidity settings etc. and can't get the thing right. Took it to my CPAP vendor and after a 15 second look at it they say it's fine. The water level does indeed go down. I am frustrated beyond belief.
Thanks
Ray
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moved from S8 to S9 and now have dry mouth
(01-16-2016, 07:21 AM)nitecapt Wrote: Has anyone else experienced this? I went from a Resmed S8 to S9 a year ago. I had no problem with the S8 and it worked great except for the fact that it did not data log for more than 6 months and I need to report compliance. So I bought an S9 and have had dry mouth since even though I have a full face mask. I tried a heated hose, experimenting with humidity settings etc. and can't get the thing right. Took it to my CPAP vendor and after a 15 second look at it they say it's fine. The water level does indeed go down. I am frustrated beyond belief.
Thanks
Ray

Welcome to the forum nitecapt,
Dry mouth has nothing to do with your machine, but your humidifier may not be set high enough for you.

More than likely, you are mouth breathing. A full face mask won't prevent mouth breathing. Have you tried a chin strap?

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your quick reply. You may be correct in that I am mouth breathing. I'm just trying to figure out why that didn't happen with my S8 with all things being the same. Unless I suddenly started mouth breathing when I got the S9 ;-)
Frankly, I think I was always a mouth breather but somehow it was handled better by the S8. I seem to recall seeing similar complaints on some search a while back from people who had switched.
In any case, I'm now going to try mouth sprays to see if that ameliorates the condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2016, 07:40 AM)nitecapt Wrote: Thank you for your quick reply. You may be correct in that I am mouth breathing. I'm just trying to figure out why that didn't happen with my S8 with all things being the same. Unless I suddenly started mouth breathing when I got the S9 ;-)
Frankly, I think I was always a mouth breather but somehow it was handled better by the S8. I seem to recall seeing similar complaints on some search a while back from people who had switched.
In any case, I'm now going to try mouth sprays to see if that ameliorates the condition.

Which S9 are you using? Is this an AutoSet or Elite?
Are you using the same pressure that you used with your S8 machine?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2016, 07:21 AM)nitecapt Wrote: Has anyone else experienced this? I went from a Resmed S8 to S9 a year ago. I had no problem with the S8 and it worked great except for the fact that it did not data log for more than 6 months and I need to report compliance. So I bought an S9 and have had dry mouth since even though I have a full face mask. I tried a heated hose, experimenting with humidity settings etc. and can't get the thing right. Took it to my CPAP vendor and after a 15 second look at it they say it's fine. The water level does indeed go down. I am frustrated beyond belief.
Thanks
Ray

Hi Ray,

You might want to google oraljel for dry mouth. Folks on the other forum have raved about it.

I also experience this problem even though I don't breath through my mouth or have leaks. So I went ahead and ordered some and I will keep everyone posted.

Best of luck.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
What humidity setting do you have on your S9? I run at 5% and still get a dry mouth, higher than that and I get washed away.

Someone suggested that I would get better results if I set the EPR to Full Time rather than Ramp only, and there was an improvement.

I did try a nose mask but it did nothing for me, so have reverted to the full face in an attempt to get some decent readings, in the hope that I get my driving licence returned.

Best of luck............
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nitecapt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more suggestions and responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 809 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.