Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moved to new house....AHI has doubled! Why?
RE: Moved to new house....AHI has doubled! Why?
I think I may have found something relevant.  My girlfriend noticed that my machine is much louder than usual.  

I slept last night in a different house and had an ahi of 10.3.  

I am wondering if my machine might not be working correctly from a bump it took while traveling.

Does anyone know how I might troubleshoot this?

The machine is less than a year old.  It passes physical inspection.  I also ran the performance test in the setup of the cpap.  

Thanks for any thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2017, 08:58 AM)Zandor435 Wrote: I think I may have found something relevant.  My girlfriend noticed that my machine is much louder than usual.  

Might the room shape , number of windows, furniture positions, where machine placed relative to bedside affect the acoustics so machine is suddenly louder/softer than your old bedroom?  If machine is working correctly then I would suspect something simple like stated above sentence.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is certainly possible.  The self-check can't do a pressure calibration check.  How is the noise louder?  Is it an air leak?  A whining/whirring?  Can you take it in to get checked?  You should be able to get a loaner while they are looking at it.  That would also tell you something.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the thoughts so far.  I am traveling this week and am in Denver, so I suspect that the altitude has had an impact on my numbers.  As I posted before, my numbers have been consistently 4-5 for the last month and then on july 2nd went to 8-10 range.  that spike correlated with my moving to a new house, but I have struggled to find anything about the new house that could have caused this spike.

I thought the change of scenery would improve my numbers and thus prove my suspicion about the house being the problem.  However, my first two nights in denver have only resulted in higher AHI's of 10 and 12 respectively.  I went to a dealer and rented a different machine (Resmed AirSense 10) because i suspected that my Respironics Dreamstation Auto might not be working properly.

The Resmed is not auto, so i set it at my 90% pressure of 11.5.  It ramped up to that pressure from my starting pressure of 9.5 and had the EPR on 3.
The first night on the Resmed has given me an AHI of 0 on the SD card. that seems like false data.  On the machine it says i had a 2.  2 would be my lowest number ever in 6 months.

I am going to use the Resmed again tonight because i at least slept decently.  I'd love to hear any other thoughts or suggestions to troubleshoot why my AHI spiked.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 264 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 985 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Arrow [Admin Note] Is there a HIPAA compliance attorney or compliance officer in the house? SuperSleeper 1 1,313 04-22-2022, 01:51 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Accidentally moved date to next day Osiris357 6 1,061 03-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Osiris357
  [Equipment] Moved And Need New Supplier Avign0n323 8 1,404 01-05-2020, 09:19 PM
Last Post: BAZZA
Sad AHI Suddenly more than doubled ezdrifler 2 1,306 07-08-2018, 07:46 AM
Last Post: tedvpap
  Advice on spare machine for weekend vacation house signal13 13 2,958 05-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.