CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

Movies Reviews
Movies Reviews.
[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

Jane Eyre (2011) 4
I loved this movie , a beautiful potent love story and highly recommend it to lovers of period drama .
Jane (Mia Wasikowska) flees from Thornfield Hall into a wild stormy landscape in the north of England. She seeks refuge in the home of a clergyman St. John Rivers and his two sisters. Flashbacks show that at the age of 10 orphaned Jane had been badly treated by her aunt Mrs Reed and had been sent from Gateshead her family home to Lowood a charity school .
Jane comes to Thornfield the house owned by the mysterious Mr. Rochester ( Michael fassbender) as a governess to his daughter and is kindly treated by the housekeeper Mrs. Fairfax (Dame Judi Dench) .
Her friendship with Rochester develops slowly. It is quite impressive adaptation of Charlotte Bronte,s great novel scripted by Moria Buffini and directed by Japanese-American Cary Fukunaga .
It looks wonderful with its vivid location photography of the moors and fine performances from distinguish cast .

Contagion 4
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Cast : Matt Damon , Kate Winslet , Laurence Fishburn , Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law .

This almost documentary-like film featuring a nicely balanced ensemble cast and lively soundtrack . I found it particularly interesting to see the perceptions of people connected to this epidemic in different capacities - those directly involved in fighting the disease and what ordinary citizens are experiencing . There are scenes in Hong Kong , San Francisco , all over the place and the film gives the sense of how a pandemic like this, how easily it can spread in a modern society . It's very intriguing, the way it comes around at the end and very satisfactory conclusion.

Midnight in Paris 4
Director: Woody Allen
Cast : Owen Wilson , Rachel McAdams , Kurt Fuller, Mimi Kennedy, Michael Sheen, Carla Bruni ,Marion Cotillard

This appealing Woody Allen fantasy and his affectionate tributes to other great cities continue with this, which opens with a breathtaking sequence of images of Paris, worthy of a tourist promotional film, but evoking much the same mood as the opening of Manhattan .
If you are an incurable romantic you will love this movie.This was such a great way to spend a couple of hours.

The Iron Lady : 4
Director: Phyllida Lloyd
Lead actor: Meryl Streep
Cast: Jim Broadbent, harry Lloyd, Anthony Head, Richard E Grant
Screenplay: Abi Morgan

Yes, Merryl Streep is wonderful, amazing and richly deserving of the accolades received. Her portrayal of Thatcher at two ages is sensational. It is more a film about dementia than Margaret Thatcher, and it was the latter I was mostly interested in.

It takes Thatcher from an eager young woman in post-war Britain, when the grocer's daughter first entered politics through her controversial career - using plenty of newsreel footage - to her lonely old age in which she's haunted by her late husband Denis. The interesting thing is that Thatcher is neither idolised nor demonised; both her admirers and her opponents should be satisfied by this portrait of a powerful and determined woman.

SuperSleeper wrote:

I wanted to check this one out... thanks for the review Zonk!
Hopefully my local library can get the DVD. Smile

................................................................................​....

Merryl Streep won the Oscars for the Iron Lady.
Congrats.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 05:21 PM by zonk.)
02-27-2012 12:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: Movies Reviews
I've see two movies about the history of cinema lately
Hugo and The Artist
................................................................................​.......
Hugo 3
Well who would have thought. Mr. Scorsese making a movie where no-one gets killed, blown up or tortured.
I cannot understand how critics rated Hugo so highly and ignored the fact that it has no appeal to children or to adults who are not professional cinephiles. The beautiful opening shots and echoes of Dickens, Victor Hugo, and of course the Phantom of the Opera carry you along for twenty minutes before you realize that there is no plot and that a magical looking automaton has no purpose other than to lead into an endless lecture on the obscure history of French cinema.
................................................................................​............

The Artist 5
This is a great French feel-good almost silent movie and a magical experience. A plot that is simplicity itself and as old as cinema but made with such love and precision that it comes off as a work of art. I love silent films and this one really is so faithful and done beautifully.
................................................................................​.........
04-17-2012 04:13 AM
Dreamcatcher Offline

Members-b

Machine: Resmed Autoset Spirit II with Quattro F/F & FX Masks
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: H4i
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

RE: Movies Reviews
THE IRON LADY 4 A Great Film, well worth watching.

Contagion 2 A Pretty bad film.

The Hunger Games 1 A poor attempt at a running man remake

John Carter 2 Boring!
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2012 04:25 AM by Dreamcatcher.)
04-17-2012 04:24 AM

Donate to Apnea Board