Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moving From BiPAP to CPAP Auto
Moving From BiPAP to CPAP Auto
Hello all!

I have been on CPAP/BiPAP since 2001. I have been using BiPAP since 2003. My Respironics Series 50 BiPAP Pro died a few months ago and I have been using my backup BiPAP Auto M series as a backup until I could get a new machine. It used to be a breeze to get a new machine every five years from my health insurance provider. However, new rules are in place in that they pay rental on a machine for three months and will purchase the machine after the three months with a report from the doctor that the machine is effective treating my sleep apnea. Even if a patient has been on CPAP/BiPAP therapy for years as I have, the rules are the same. This sucks, but it is what it is.

The big issue for me is money. I retired in 2012, and of course, not pulling in the $$$ that I used to. I have a 450.00 annual deductible, which includes DME. My doctor sent the prescription over to the DME provider I have been using for years and they called me to let me know that I would have to pay 220.00 a month for the BiPAP for three months and 10 percent co-insurance after that for the purchase of the machine. Because it it the end of the year, I have to wait until January because the deductible rolls back over to 450.00. So I would have to pay 450.00 and 180.00 for the co-insurance. There is no way I can spend that much money and pay rent and groceries.

The DME suggested an Auto CPAP, because it is significantly less expensive and I would not have such a big hit for out of pocket expense. I talked to my doctor and he said that the Auto CPAP would be different and should only take as small amount to adjust to it but if I could not afford a BiPAP, it would be much better than standard CPAP.

The machine the doctor prescribed is the Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex and heated humidifier. I need some advice on how difficult the adjustment will be for me going from BiPAP to the Auto CPAP. I am a bit nervous about the change, but as I said, there is no way I can afford the expense of the BiPAP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moving From BiPAP to CPAP Auto
The suggested machine is consider quite good.
Why were you put on Bilevel? You have been using 6 cm-H2O of relief on exhale. You may miss that.
Bilevel is used when a patient fails on straight CPAP, or high pressures are required, or for some pulmonary conditions like COPD.
An auto machine has a pressure EPR that can drop exhalation pressure by a max of 3 cm-H2O.

A data capable auto machine will still exceed your copay.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MisterMac,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Going from BiPap back to CPAP is going to be a little different since you have gotten used to your bipap machine.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to Supplier #2 (click on the Supplier's List link at top of every page) and check out their bilevel machines. They sell used and open box machines. Add up how much you would have to pay out of pocket and see if they have a machine that fits what you need for about the same price. You could also contact them and tell them what you are looking for. They may be able to make you a deal.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 07:38 PM)justMongo Wrote: The suggested machine is consider quite good.
Why were you put on Bilevel? You have been using 6 cm-H2O of relief on exhale. You may miss that.
Bilevel is used when a patient fails on straight CPAP, or high pressures are required, or for some pulmonary conditions like COPD.
An auto machine has a pressure EPR that can drop exhalation pressure by a max of 3 cm-H2O.

A data capable auto machine will still exceed your copay.

I was put on BiPAP because after two years on straight CPAP, I was diagnosed with PTSD and could not sleep with the CPAP. My respiratory physician put me on BiPAP. I still had the same issues the first few months with the BiPAP as well, but after getting the right psych meds, I no longer had any issues with it. As for the cost, the new machine will be a PR re-manufactured unit, so the cost will be much less than a new unit.

Post Reply Post Reply
You should have any problem with the Auto Aflex. Itll drop by 3 cm relief as stated. Aflex also does some smoothing of the drop and increase vs cflex but you can use either in auto mode depending on which you like.

I normally run Cflex but when I had a mask that my pressures were hitting 18 i switched to Aflex on its min setting to smooth the bounce in pressure and had no problems with exhaling and I have COPD though mild.

That is the exact machine I have. Id go ahead and get the heated hose humidifier with it as you will wish you had later probably.

If you need alot of humidity you can get up to 90 percent at the mask with the heated hose no rainout or mask condensation.

You can run the heated hose humidifier with the heated hose turned on or in System one humidity mode with it turned off if its to warm in summer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support...it is greatly appreciated!

Richard
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand your post, no matter what machine you choose, you will still have to pay a $450 deductible. The co-pay is what will be different depending on the machine you choose. I would ask and see what the co-pay is for a cpap auto and make a decision from there. For 3 months, I wouldn't think that the co-pay is going to be that much different between the machines.

Once you get the total out of pocket for the cpap auto and the bilevel, then you can do what others have suggested and see what the suppliers at the top of the forum can do for you.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 252 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 597 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,178 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.