Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moving from full face to nasal mask
Moving from full face to nasal mask
Hi,

I started CPAP therapy about 6 months ago. I have a F&P Simplus FF mask, which I like. However, as a side sleeper, it's difficult to have no leaks.

I am therefore trying to move to a F&P Eson Nasal mask, which should be less intrusive, and allow me to sleep on the side.

As I tend to breath through my mouth, I also have a chin strap. However, it has not stopped 100% of the mouth breathing, and I am a bit reluctant to tape my mouth.

It seems that breathing through the nose has medical advantages compared to through the mouth? Is that correct?

T.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moving from full face to nasal mask
Yes, the nasal passages moisturize and filter inspired air.

By the way, I have a Eson 2 that I use, I do sleep on my side and have to wear a chin strap to help with mouth breathing, and roll over a lot so I have some leakage issues. I have started tightening the mask more than I though I would have to keep down the leaks throughout the night. I also have used taping, and it really works well for me, but I don't like the tape on my face much, so I generally use a chin strap that is good enough for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a "soft" cervical collar? This seems to work as well if not better than a chin strap. It can help keep your neck aligned, and keeps your mouth/jaw from dropping open.

Reasonably priced at Amazon, but be sure to measure your neck and add 2 inches, plus measure the height. If it's too tall, you won't be comfortable with it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 03:45 PM)TASmart Wrote: Yes, the nasal passages moisturize and filter inspired air.

By the way, I have a Eson 2 that I use, I do sleep on my side and have to wear a chin strap to help with mouth breathing, and roll over a lot so I have some leakage issues. I have started tightening the mask more than I though I would have to keep down the leaks throughout the night. I also have used taping, and it really works well for me, but I don't like the tape on my face much, so I generally use a chin strap that is good enough for me.

What kind of tape are you using?  Have you tried medical tape that sticks really well but comes off without residue and marks?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F&P Eson mask [not the Eson 2, but it will be my 'upgrade' eventually no doubt], I'm very happy with it. 

You can train yourself to not be a mouth breather by holding water in your mouth and breathing through your nose... or if you afraid you might drown yourself try placing the tip of your tongue in the hollow part of the roof of your mouth, this will also help you to train yourself to breathe through your nose only.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 518 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,597 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.